Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thorlo socks

Posted by Sherry on 3/21/03 at 20:30 (113835)

Have any of you ever tried a sock called Thorlo ??
When you see them you will know why they are good for anyone
with a foot problem. They can be found in any shoe store( I am in the south) so I am not sure about the Northern areas..They are kind of expensive the first pair I bought were 12.00 ..I work for SAS shoe company and to my surprise we sell them for 5 bucks lol didnt realize it until i bought 2 pair for 24 dollars lol ..you wont realize how much they help until you were them and then try to were another type of sock.
It doesnt solve your problem but it sure makes it a bit less painful to walk...And I also have tried the New Balance shoes cant wear them I think i have wore Nike too long ..but I did however bought a pair that have the air pockets in the heel that you can see...man it really absorbs the sock of your foot hitting the floor...just somethings that work for me

sherry

Re: Thorlo socks

Kathryn B. on 3/21/03 at 20:48 (113837)

I have Raynaud's in my feet and some muscle pain, as well. These socks are not only nice and cushiony for me to wear out, they really work great to keep my feet warmer for the Raynaud's. I might decide to try something even more 'thermal' next winter for being out, but these are wonderful to sleep in for me. When I want a little lighter a sock that is still well-cushioned, I like the more expensive Lady Footlocker socks. They come on cards like the Thorlo (Footlocker has others that come in bags and are cheaper, but they have less cushion).

Suzanne D on 3/21/03 at 22:52 (113852)

Yes, Sherry, I learned about Thorlo socks a year or so ago from John H. on this site. They ARE great socks; I bought two pairs of the walking style. The way the arch area fits snugly really feels good to me.

Suzanne :-)

Bev N on 3/22/03 at 09:27 (113874)

Thorlo Socks for PF or TTS ? Where do you obtain them??

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/03 at 10:21 (113879)

Here are some, Bev.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/my_socks/msSearchResults.jsp?catOID=-12967

I don't have any but I hear they are wonderful.

Carole

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/22/03 at 10:28 (113880)

Thor-Lo socks are great socks for walking, running, etc., but I wouldn't say that these socks are for PF or TTS. Thor-Lo socks are unique, since they have socks specific for running, walking, skiing, hiking, et., which each have cushioning and support in different areas. Another nice feature of ThorLo socks is that they have little to no cotton. Most patients believe that socks should have a high cotton content, but in reality studies have shown that socks with a high cotton content actually absorb moisture and as a result the socks flatten out and became abrasive which results in increased blisters. Socks with a higher acrylic content wick the moisturizer away and retain cushioning and decrease blistering. The bottom line is Thor Lo makes great socks, and you can't go wrong but the socks won't do much for PF or TTS. Hope this info helps.

Bev N on 3/22/03 at 10:43 (113885)

Would it help to wear the Thorlo socks with my NB for bike riding. I am hoping to bike ride since I can not walk. Would those socks cushion my feet for bike riding? thankyou so very much for your help Dr.Wander.

Bev N on 3/22/03 at 10:57 (113889)

Thankyou Carole, I checked out the site. I am looking for something that will help cushion my feet so I can bike ride, even if I can not walk I hope to be able to bike ride. We have a great Bike Path here that goes all around our small town. How are you doing today? Is your PF acting up? I did not realize that PF acts up more under stress as other thing can, but our bodies are funny. Is it nice there today? Spring is coming, snow is almost all gone and I WISH I could go out and start cleaning up the yard. This is killing me thaat I can't get out there and do things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UG. Having a lot of pain today , don't know why, but I am - UG!! Got my cam boots on , maybe I need to ice again. I had better perk up, though, got my granddaughters coming for 5 days, they are just 4 and just 6 .So they will keep me busy!!! I will be sharing them with their other grandma, and cousins so that will be time for me to rest my feet , but they are sleeping and staying with us. They are so precious and they love grampa to take them to the curly slide to play at the playground, so he takes them to various playgrounds if weather permits.
So, I had better stop gabbing (is this the social page?) Have a nice day ,Carole. Bev

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/22/03 at 11:32 (113895)

David:

They do make great socks. They are very thick though, so one need pay attention to shoe fit after donning this product.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/03 at 16:36 (113917)

So far, so good with the PF. I've spent most of the day resting my feet, partly because I don't want to mess them up, and partly because it's Saturday. I did mow the lawn, and that didn't seem to cause them any harm. I've been doing more of the PF treatments as preventatives; wearing shoes all the time, doing my stretches, and I think maybe after dinner I'll ice my feet.

It's gorgeous here in New Orleans today. Sunny, perfect weather, a lot like back in Hawaii where I grew up. I mowed the lawn and wished I had a lawn service. But, I didn't hurt my feet doing it, and there's something to be said for that. So far, so good. That's a whole lot better than last year, when my PF was more of a problem for me.

I wanted to get out some more in the sunshine, so I went for a drive. Amazingly, everybody else in my suburb had the same idea and traffic was jammed all over town.

I'm so sorry that you are in your cam boots and can't clean up the yard. I know it probably won't help if I remind you that next year at this time, you'll probably be able to clean it up and it will look great. Be careful of your feet with those granddaughters! Little girls can run you ragged, even without PF. :)

It's the social page as far as I'm concerned. I can't take any more of the war right now.

Carole C

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/22/03 at 16:39 (113918)

I agree 100% with Dr. Ed, Thor-Lo socks are very thick and shoe fit can be a problem (with existing shoes). Thor-Lo makes great socks with strategically placed cushioning for specific sports, but I'm not sure if they make a biking sock. I'm sure there must be a website with full information.

Re: Bev Thorlo socks

Sherry on 3/22/03 at 17:13 (113921)

Bev
i am not trying to dis anyone here but I have PF and TTS I know what I am tlaking about..It dont matter to me about the cotton or the nylon all I know is that the extra cushion and softness in the heel of the sock and hte extra elastic in the middle of the sock makes a world of difference in walking ..and I walk 8 - 9 hours on my job everyday..as well I work at SAS shoe company and we sell these socks for comfort as well..so unless just because a person is a doctor and dont have PF or TTS doesnt necessarly know what they are talking about ..I bet if you have a male Gyno and you say I have a pain write here hes only going to know what his med books told him ...try one pair and see what you think..I am not saying it is going to take your pain away but it is alot more comfy than a reg. pair of socks
Sherry

Re: bev again

Sherry on 3/22/03 at 17:15 (113922)

thought you would want to see someone elses experience with thorlo
Posted by Suzanne D on 3/21/03 at 22:52
Yes, Sherry, I learned about Thorlo socks a year or so ago from John H. on this site. They ARE great socks; I bought two pairs of the walking style. The way the arch area fits snugly really feels good to me.

Suzanne :-)

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/23/03 at 19:33 (114052)

I discussed the acrylic vs. cotton as information for those patients that may have the belief or 'wives tale' that cotton is the best choice for socks, when in fact studies have proven otherwise. I was simply trying to inform patients why I strongly believe in ThorLo socks. Additionally, I am fully aware of the pain associated with plantar fasciitis, since plantar fasciitis basically almost ended my career as a very competitive soccer player. In my post I stated that I was a strong PROponent of ThorLo socks and highly recommended ThorLo socks, but did not want to give anyone the belief that ThorLo socks will cure plantar fasciitis or TTS. I do believe that ThorLo socks are certainly an excellent sock that will be beneficial due to the quality, support and cushioning they provide.

I do agree that ThorLo socks are excellent socks and may be beneficial for patients with plantar fasciitis or TTS. But after having severe plantar fasciitis myself and treating PF for 18 years, I didn't want to give patients the impression that ThorLo socks would be a major factor in the treatment regimen

Please take the information I provide and understand that I'm attempting to provide help to patients, even though not everyone will agree with my thoughts. If you've disagreed with me in the past, doesn't mean that you can't agree with me in the future.

Sherry on 3/23/03 at 20:14 (114056)

Thor-Lo socks are great socks for walking, running, etc., but I wouldn't say that these socks are for PF or TTS

This above is your post not mine .if had you stated what you stated in the response to me I would have agreed. However you made a rebuttle against me.
I later came back to say

..I am not saying it is going to take your pain away but it is alot more comfy than a reg. pair of socks

this was in my last post
I cut and pasted both post so they are both quotes.
Geeeezzzzzz truce man