Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fibular sesamoidectomy and capsular tightening

Posted by JJ S. on 3/21/03 at 21:56 (113839)

How stable are the results of this surgery? How long has this procedure been around? What are the potential risks and benefits?

Re: fibular sesamoidectomy and capsular tightening

Dr. Z on 3/21/03 at 22:33 (113847)

You need to combine this usually with other parts of a bunionectomy procedure. An isolated fibular excision is rarely done. Please explain why you are having this isolated procedure and not a complete bunionectomy?

Re: fibular sesamoidectomy and capsular tightening

JJ S. on 3/25/03 at 11:22 (114467)

In 1991, I had a right Mitchell Bunionectomy; Z-plasty,first extensor tendon; capsulotomy, 2nd, 3rd, 4th joints; and fusion, right 4th interphalangeal joint.

Within 6 months, the great toe had begun to drift and the foot. Over time the forefoot has widened so much that my toe bones crunch when I try on shoes, I have corns between my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th toes; a pronounced callous on the right ball of my foot; callouses and corns on the center, front bottom of my foot; little flesh on the front bottom foot where the callouses and corns have formed; and a 4th toe forming a claw-like curl.

I have been to 3 physicians for opinions and have found each recommendation
to be different.

Physician 1: Soft tissue reblancing to include probable fibular sesamoidectomy and capsular tightening. He also suggested a distal 1st metatarsal osteotamy on the left. I don't know if that applies to my left foot where a new bunion has recently emerged of if it applies to the right foot. I can't remember whether or not I would have a cast.

Physician 2: Lapidus procedure; RSVN proximal interphalangeal joint (PIP) 2,3,4; Dorsiflexion osteotoy (DFO) 3rd MT. I would be home a week or so then return for a cast that would be on I believe 6-8 weeks.

Physician 3: Lapidus procedure with a cast for 6 weeks. He also referred to additional corrective surgery that he would not recommend at my age which is 58.

Each of these physicians come highly recommended and their differing opinions are hard for me to sort and make a choice.