Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can't find post on making casts

Posted by AngelaS on 3/22/03 at 22:53 (113953)

Hi,
I read awhile back that orthotics must be cast with the person sitting, or something like that. Anyway not standing. I need to show this to a Chiro who swears by making the molds standing.
I did a search but no luck.
Any info or help finding that post, ie; key words to use, would be appreciated. Thank you

Re: Can't find post on making casts

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/23/03 at 12:33 (114000)

Angela:
I would use the search feature in a similar fashion.

One's feet generally go into the uncorected or deformed position when standing and that is why a corrective orthotic is not made with an individual standing. If an orthotic is accomodative or has little control required, the standing method may work. Many chiropractors I know make a device known as the 'spinal pelvic stabilizer.' The primary purpose of that device is to effect postural changes and they are using it mainly to assist in their treatment of the back. Those devices may not have a significant effect on foot function. So it depends on your needs.

I refer patients to chiropractors for treatment of the back and for assistance with the treatment of postural symptomatolgy. Chiropractors refer patients to me who need orthotics with more significant control than the spinal pelvic stabilizers. It is the hallmark of a good practitioner who recognizes the limitations of one's treatment and willing to put the patient first, referring to other practitioners who have more expertise in an area the patient requires.
Ed

Re: Can't find post on making casts

AngelaS on 3/24/03 at 16:36 (114280)

Hi Ed,
My problem was not knowing the best keywords to use. Standing and casts pulled up a few too many posts ;-)
Anyway, thanks for the info. This chiropractor works mainly with runners and foot problems. He says that I pronate but did seem to vasilate between whether I needed orthotics or not. He also uses Foot Levelers which I know aren't too popular on this board.
On the other hand I feel pretty confident in his ability and knowledge.
Unfortunatly when I saw a podiatrist he had little to offer in the way of help, or information. If I had seen someone with your expertise perhaps I would not have felt so confused about what to do.
I will pass along the information you wrote regarding the spinal pelvic stabilizers and their use in postural changes but not foot problems. At least he doesn't mind a bit when I question everything he says!
Angela

Re: For Ed getting good orthotics

AngelaS on 3/25/03 at 19:23 (114585)

Hi Ed,
After thinking about your response in regards to 'pelvic stabilizers' verses other orthotics and doing more research on this board I've decided to drive to Columbia and have Richard make them!
I am really hopeful that they will help especially as I become more immobile. Even if they don't, at least it will tell me the problem is not just mechanical. I don't have insurance so I have to choose carefully how to get the help I need.
Thank you and everyone else for pointing me in the right direction!
Angela

Re: For Ed getting good orthotics

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/26/03 at 22:46 (114732)

Angela:
Excellent choice.
Ed