Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NEED INFO ON HEEL SPURS

Posted by Barbara B on 3/23/03 at 10:14 (113977)

I WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH A HEEL SPUR, AND THE DOCTOR TAPED MY FOOT, NOW MY ARCH IS VERY PAINFUL! SHOULD I TRY ORTHOTICS, OR JUST GO AHEAD WITH SURGERY? I SPEND ALL DAY ON MY FEET. DOES A HEEL SPUR EVER GO AWAY ON IT'S OWN? AND IF I HAVE SURGERY. WILL IT COME BACK???

Re: NEED INFO ON HEEL SPURS

Kathy G on 3/23/03 at 10:20 (113980)

Barbara,

Welcome to the club despite the fact that you don't really want to belong to it! I would suggest you read Scott's Heel Pain Book carefully as it contains excellent information. I have learned more at this site than I have learned from books, the web, my doctor or Physical Therapy.

Rest, ice and gentle stretching seem to be the key to recovery. Don't opt for surgery until you have exercised all the other options!

Good luck and come back often. Don't hesitate to post because there are people here who know what you're going through and they really care!

Re: NEED INFO ON HEEL SPURS

john h on 3/24/03 at 15:06 (114263)

Barbara 90% of all heelspur pain is cured permanently within 6 months. Do not even think about surgery at this time. Read Scotts heelspur book on this site and adopt many of the aids you read about here such as icing, tape,birks,rest,etc. You should come out of this just fine if you have caught it early as you apparently have. If some doctor recommends any surgery at this point immediately find another one.