Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Forefoot and midfoot pain after trauma

Posted by Jerry O on 3/23/03 at 14:33 (114013)

This may sound pretty gross but 9 months ago my right foot got caught under the blade of one of my lawnmowers. The doctors said i was lucky since I only fractured my navicular bone. I suffered quite a flesh wound that took about 3 months to heal. no skin graft was required. The navicular was closed up with 2 screws. My dilemma now is that my navicular does not hurt but rather my forefoot and to a lesser extent my midfoot causes me pain for about the first 5 minutes of walking then the pain becomes dull. Ihave been taking 25mg Vioxx for about 3 months but that offers only minimal relief. I have an appointment with orthopedic surgeon this week and I was wondering if he will prescribe a cortizone shot or eventual foot fusion surgery.Could scar tissue be a cause of the pain? Anyway I would appreciate a medical professional's comments or advice on this situation. Thank You

Re: Forefoot and midfoot pain after trauma

Dr. Z on 3/23/03 at 15:13 (114017)

Hi

Need to check for nerve entrapement, damage. Neuroma in the interspace. May have joint damage, may have tendon dysfunction and or damage. May need an mri for evaluation.

Re: Forefoot and midfoot pain after trauma

Ted on 3/24/03 at 20:42 (114355)

I had blunt trama to my heel, causing an inflamtion around a nerve. I started changing the way I walked; walking on the outside of my foot; and it caused severe pain in the rest of my foot. It was the worst after resting it. When I got out of bed in the morning was the worst. I had to walk around for 10 minutes until my foot loosend up, then dull pain. If you changed the way you walk, it can cause severe pain. I corrected it by starting to put my weight squarley back on my foot. The lump around the nerve has been getting smaller and less painful and I doon't have pain when I get up in the morning any more.