Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FEET

Posted by BRANDY P on 3/24/03 at 09:05 (114154)

HI,

I AM WRITING TO SEE IF THEIR IS ANY HELP FOR MY FEET. MY PROBLEM THAT I HAVE
IS MY HEELS ARE VERY CRACKED AND THEY BLEED. IT'S SO BAD THAT IT HURTS TO
WALK ON THEM. I HAVE BEEN TO MY DOCTOR AND THE ONLY THING HE COULD DO FOR
ME WAS TO GIVE ME THIS LOTION TO KEEP ON THEM, BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO HELP
MUCH. HAVE YOU HEARD OF ANYTHING LIKE THAT AND IS THEIR ANYTHING ELSE THAT
COULD POSSIBLY BE DONE TO HEAL THEM?

THANKS
BRANDY P

Re: FEET

Lara t on 3/24/03 at 12:21 (114228)

I think I have seen special socks for such. I know I've seen it for similar problems with hands. They help keep the moisturizing sinking in (there's probably a technical term for that - somewhere) Do you use socks with the moisturizer.

Re: FEET

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/25/03 at 07:46 (114409)

There are some socks with a silicone gel impregnated with mineral oil, but I haven't really seen much success with these socks and severe heel fissures/skin splitting. There are many medications/lotions to apply, and sometimes it's hit or miss. Additionally, when the severe tenderness resolves it is important for the doctor to debride (scrape away) some of the dead skin, which should be almost painless. Doctors are actually using a medical grade 'superglue', to help close the splits in the skin, and this often works very well. It is the same product that is used instead of stitches to close some wounds. Additionally, a very simple and effective method to moisturize the area is to apply vaseline, cover the area with Saran wrap, apply a sock and sleep with this combination. This will often provide significant softening of the area. I would not use this if there are open sores or bleeding. Ask your doctor about the above suggestions.