Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

s/p surg plantar facisitis

Posted by mary A on 3/26/03 at 10:34 (114655)

Yes my question is I had surg. 6 mons ago, I continue to have pain in my arch & lateral foot. I have more pain when I try to push off when walking & unable to fully bend my foot & pain when striking the surface ,resulting in a constant limp. I have yet to be able fully wt. bear on the affect foot. I have had PT.x1 week & I also wear ortic. I don't know what to do, Help. Thank You

Re: s/p surg plantar facisitis

Sharon W on 3/26/03 at 11:13 (114667)

Mary,

Did your doctor mention anything to you about 'lateral column syndrome'? I am not a doctor or any kind of foot & ankle expert, but I've taken an interest in this condition and it sounds like that might possibly be what you're describing.

The comments below are from a post on a thread called 'lateral column syndrome' written by Ed Davis, DPM on 3/01/03 at 12:11

'The function of the plantar fascia is to create the equivalent of a buttress to support the bones of the arch and midfoot. When the plantar fascia is released, a major supporting structure is sacrificed and the tension that the fascia encountered is converted to additional force applied to the bones and joints of the midfoot.'

The lateral column refers to the calcaneo-cuboid joint and cuboid - 4th/5th metarsal joints which have come under additional strain after the plantar fascial release. If that area becomes painful, the following steps may be taken:
1)manipulation therapy of the calcaneo-cuboid joint
2)possible injection of the joimt with 'cortisone.'
3)physical therapy
4) most importantly, orthotics designed with extra lateral column support -- probably the most important step.
5) address any tightness of the heel cord as that can cause much midtarsal and lateral column strain.

Good luck, Mary; I don't know if this will help but it sounds like you're in a lot of pain so I thought I would bring it up, just in case...

Sharon