Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I cant bend my big toe !

Posted by liz B on 3/27/03 at 01:45 (114740)

I have very restricted movement in my left big toe, it has become progressivly worse over 15 years since a sports injury in my teens. On Xray it has signs of oesteoarthritis and an ultra sound showed a capsulitus. This year I was prescribed an orthodic which although helps to reduce tenderness in the muscle and tissues of the foot , it does nothing to help the joint it self. Can any one share any similar experience wth me and help me with information regarding surgery ?

thanks Liz

Re: I cant bend my big toe !

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/27/03 at 18:06 (114788)

Liz:
You are describing a condition termed 'hallux limitus' or 'hallux rigidus.'
There are 4 stages of this condition and a different surgical procedure or different combination of procedures is used at each stage.

Surgical treatment for stage 1 and early stage 2 may include a procedure known as a cheilectomy. That involves removing bone from the top of the first metatarsal head. Healing is relatively quick.

Surgical treatment for late stage 2 and early stage 3 may involve a procedure which repositions the cartilage of the first metatarsal head to a more optimal position. Replacement of the cartilage on the base of the big toe joint may be performed with a hemi (half-joint) implant.

Surgical treatment of late stage 3 and stage 4 can go in two different directions. First, fusion of the joint. That is something I would avoid. Second, use of a total joint implant tp re-create pain free range of motion.
Ed

Re: I cant bend my big toe !

Sally C. on 8/07/03 at 21:19 (126526)

I have been told by a podiatrist that I should have surgery for hallex ridgidus. Went to an orthopedic surgeon & he said surgery wouldn't help & sold me about $1,000 worth or orthotics. I've worn them a little bit, but they make my hips & legs hurt. I'm wondering about going back to the podiatrist & going with the surgery. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I have pain all of the time in my right big toe. Even when lying in bed I can get a jolt of pain. Any answers?