Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eswt

Posted by tammy s on 3/27/03 at 01:57 (114742)

I have been dealing with PF for 3-4 years, and have done ALL the conservative treatments. It has been recommended that I do EWST next. I am a nurse that works 12 hour shifts and I need to know realisticly how long before I will be able to work a 12 hour shift after the procedure? Also does anyone know if health partners insurance covers this procedure?
Thanks...........Tammy S

Re: eswt

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/27/03 at 17:59 (114784)

Tammy:
ESWT is a good option. It does not yield quick results because it induces the body to 'rebuild' the diseased tissue which takes at least 12 weeks to happen.
Ed

Rosemary on 3/27/03 at 18:01 (114785)

Hi Tammy,
Having had ESWT and spending many hours on this site trying to figure out the right recipe for post ESWT recovery, all I can say is you will not know until you are there. It seems like the ability to walk and stand for long periods of time is very individual, and probably has a lot to do with how many other things are wrong with the foot. It is absolutley worth doing - so many have had positive experiences. There is another nurse on this site who went back to work preety quickly and stood for most of the shift with little to no discomfort. There are others, like myself, who opted to take some time off in order to give the foot some rest. All I can say is be prepared to rest just in case your body requires it. Good Luck!

Shell D on 3/27/03 at 19:08 (114794)

Tammy,
I too am a nurse who has had PF for 5 years. I had ESWT the end of December and it has been very successful! I took 2 weeks off after having the procedure done. On the days I don't work, my feet are 'perfect.' On the days I work, they tend to start aching after about 5 hours. (I work the evening shift, so by the time I actually get to work, I've already been on them for 8 hours at home.)
I don't have any morning pain in my feet anymore, so that's wonderful as far as I'm concerned! Good luck in whatever you decide, but I would highly recommend it. I should also tell you that I only work part-time, so when I took 2 weeks off after the procedure, it was ONLY because I wasn't scheduled to work anyway, not because of pain.)