Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 weeks post op

Posted by Marty on 3/27/03 at 12:59 (114768)

I'm still in the boot and I still have some swelling but I'm getting a little bit better everyday. One thing that surprises me is that the PF part on the operation is heeling slower then the TTS. In fact I would say that the TTS is pretty much healed and I have a long ways to go with the PF. I can take the boot off at night to sleep now and that's so nice. Looking back I would do it all over again in a hurt beat but I still have a long ways to go and I'm sure some frustrations along the way. But I don't think it's that much worse now then it was before the surgery. I will get the other one done in about a year.

Till next week

Marty

Re: 5 weeks post op

marie on 3/27/03 at 18:13 (114789)

=D> I am glad to hear that you are still hangin' in there. Before you know it this will all be a fuzzy memory.

marie

Marty on 3/28/03 at 10:05 (114817)

I like the little guy. I can tell your into computer graphics. Next year when I get the other foot done I will be so glad to get it all over with!!! Everyone here has been so much help.

Thanks

marie on 3/28/03 at 18:11 (114842)

Marty,

Scott gave us smileys. If you look at the sentence just above the message box it saids 'Click Here:. You'll get a pop up list of smileys. They're fun.
Glad to hear you are doing well. How has work been? Are you doing a little better? I remember you had some bad days.

marie

Sharon W on 3/28/03 at 20:52 (114855)

Sounds great, Marty! It looks like you're still on track so keep up the good work!

Sharon

Marty on 3/29/03 at 09:18 (114868)

Work get better everyday. The only bad thing is now the Boss is calling me into his office again so I have to do some walking now. But it hasn't been that bad. How goes it for you? Any luck with job prospects?

Marty on 3/29/03 at 09:20 (114869)

Thanks Sharon. How's the P/N? Is your doctor back to work yet?

Re: Ps. I took my first steps without the boot!

Marty on 3/29/03 at 09:26 (114870)

I walk the length of my hallway yesterday without the boot! The doctor told me it's time but I'm going to go slow. I have full motion up and down and some side to side. No pain in the TTS area just in the PF release area. I also got my new orthodics and wow what a differance! I love them!!!!

Sharon W on 3/29/03 at 12:25 (114884)

Marty,

Where did you end up getting your new orthotics from, and what kind are they?

Sharon

marie on 3/30/03 at 20:10 (114944)

I had a nice talk with my superintendent. He gave some suggestions .....wants to keep me but wants more numbers in classes. I suggested taking on the Yearbook and running it through our visual communications class...he very much liked it. I am looking at a mastors in Gudance Counseling. We discussed it. He said how are you going to do that and work here? So I don't think he's given up on me but until we get finished with scheduling I'll be a nervous busy body.

The big news in my life is that I can walk.....everywhere. Don't need accomadations. this is the best week I have had in 2 years. I danced to Aerosmith's Walk this Way while cleaning the house. I am not to graceful yet but loved it.

Medicine is doing its thing. I feel like I am back in the drivers seat.

take care :),
marie

marie on 3/30/03 at 20:14 (114946)

=D>

That's great Marty! Today the hallway tommorrow the whole house. Take your doctor's advice and go s-l-o-w. We don't want you to go backwords.

I am so happy this is working out for you!

marie

Sharon W on 3/30/03 at 20:18 (114948)

Marie,

That's really GREAT! \:D/ (Oops, sorry about using caps...)

What medicine is it, that you think is 'doing its thing' and letting you walk all over the place??

Sharon
:>

dave r on 3/31/03 at 07:55 (114961)

Hi Marty! Im glad you are doing well! I noticed a huge improvement form week 5 through week 7. My foot is still healing but already it feels better than before surgery.

Marty on 3/31/03 at 12:40 (114991)

going on week 6 and the swelling going down fast now. That's were I feel the most pain. I walked around the house a bit sunday.

Marty on 3/31/03 at 12:41 (114992)

thanks marie :)

Marty on 3/31/03 at 12:48 (114994)

From my pod. I had to do allot of talking to get him to order them. He told me he was blasing new trails ordering them for me. LOL They call them 'soft touch' and are the materials used for rumatoid patients. Probably last about a year. Since I had the casts the cost me 120.00. I'll pay that every year.

Marty on 3/31/03 at 12:50 (114995)

That's wounderful!! What the drug?

Sharon W on 3/31/03 at 13:29 (115001)

Marty,

Congratulations!! =D> I'm impressed that you were able to talk your pod into soft orthotics... it sounds great to me. I think that may be what I need, with both PF and PN.

Please keep us updated on how they work out for you!

Sharon

marie on 3/31/03 at 13:46 (115005)

Sharon
Well it's several things. I am on 900 mg of neurontin, 30 mg of elavil, vitamins:2000 mg of glucomyasin, 1000mg MSM, 1000 mg of magnesium, B6. I use progesterone cream on my ankles knees and calves....I can't say why but it works and I notice a huge difference without it. It's a menopausal cream that you can get in the vitamin section at walmart. Sorry Marty I don't know if it works on guys. And I wear support hose or tights daily. Somehow it's all working. I am so excited that I can do some normal things again. The swelling has gone way down...I have ankle bones again. I think the birkenstocks help alot too.
I even went grocery shopping this week.

I love you guys if it wasn't for all the wonderful folks here I wouldn't have been able to do all of this. Thanks for your freindship it is very much appreciated.

marie

dave r on 3/31/03 at 15:11 (115033)

Marty, do you still have bruising and some swelling at you pf surgery site?

Marty on 4/03/03 at 13:59 (115309)

A little, more around my tts surgery site.

Do you still have swelling?

Re: hmmmm

Marty on 4/03/03 at 14:04 (115310)

Hmmmm,

Verdict still out if they are good for p/n. Main reason is they don't absorb heat well. The ball of my foot burns so bad at times I have to get out of the boot. At this point I don't know if this is from the tts or from p/n. It's been real bad a few times.

dave r on 4/03/03 at 14:49 (115317)

All of my swelling has been gone for a week. Today is the 2 month mark for me. I have been walking in my orthotics for 5 weeks.I have been back to work for two weeks. I do have a sit down job.I will say that it appears that my surgery site has completetely healed. I have been a mad man here trying to stretch my feet out. I am finally having some success. I have never been able to stretch without having alot of pain. My achilles is very tight but i cant do anything about it. My left foot or non surgery fooy hurts alot. I have had pf there for a long time too.I am hoping that i will get some creep out of my achilles. Maybe i will need to have it lengthened but for now i will conitinue to stretch as much as i can withou causing a flare up.

Re: hmmmm

Sharon W on 4/05/03 at 16:31 (115493)

Marty,

That doesn't sound too good at all -- but it might not be the fault of the orthotics. TTS surgery removes the PRESSURE that was on the nerve, so that it can gradually heal itself... and you do seem to be recovering well (and fairly quickly) from the surgical wound. \:D/ But temember, your Dr. told you it would take a long time to heal the damage that TTS (and that calcaneal nerve tangled up in your heel spur!) have done to the nerve conduction in your foot.

Sadly, :( I'm sure there's still some healing that needs to take place, before your posterior tibial nerve and its branches will be 100% back to normal, and unfortunately that can be SUCH a slow process, it takes the patience of a Saint! 0:)

Sharon

Re: out of boot completely

Marty on 4/06/03 at 12:17 (115531)

I still have swelling but I have been without my boot for 2 days. I have full motion up and down and most side to side. I have really been working hard on getting my motion back since week 2 of the surgery. The burning is still bad sometimes during the day, but not all day long.

Re: out of boot completely

marie on 4/06/03 at 20:27 (115550)

Hurray! \:D/

You'll be dancing before you know it.

marie