Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

6 month-long platar fasciitis

Posted by Katie W on 3/28/03 at 10:42 (114819)

I wore new, light trainers in the Portland Maraton last October 6. Dumb, I know. But my feet have hurt so bad ever since, I can't walk, let alone run. I have inserts, I wear night-splints, I stretch, I've even had an injection, but tat just made it worse. Tape elped but after a couple weeks, my skin started comming off wit te tape. I'm sitting here crying, I'm so frusterated. Please, what do I do now? I can't see a surgeon until may.

Re: 6 month-long platar fasciitis

SteveG on 3/28/03 at 11:12 (114821)

Katie - If you have done everything outlined in the heel pain book, and you have not noticed much of an improvement, then ESWT may be your next option. You will find a lot of info about this treatment here on this site. Surgery is a last resort and should be avoided if it's possible

Re: 6 month-long platar fasciitis

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/28/03 at 18:19 (114845)

I agree with Steve that ESWT may be an option and that surgery should be the very last option. However, in your post you stated that you did have relief with taping, but continued taping began to irritate your skin. For my patients that have success with taping, but don't have success with inserts or orthoses, I have found a very useful product. The product is called a Fabrifoam PSC/Pronation Spring Control. It is basically a foam type soft fabric that wraps around your foot in a specific way, and supports the plantar fascia similar to taping. It is re-usable, washable, comfortable and relatively inexpensive. Once again, I've found it useful for patients that do well with taping but don't do well with inserts or orthoses.

I have no financial interest in the company, but have found it very useful for my patients. Do a web search on 'Fabrifoam' and the site should come up. Hope this helps.

Re: Wendy, did you see this?

Suzanne D on 3/29/03 at 15:58 (114900)

Hi, Wendyn. I wouldn't be so presumptious as to try to figure out what you might be able to use to help your foot problems (And I know they are complex), but this post from Dr. Wander caught my attention and made me think of you when he wrote that 'For my patients that have success with taping, but don't have success with inserts or orthoses...'. I knew you had posted that you never could seem to tolerate wearing orthotics very often. I don't know that I remember your mentioning if taping helped or not. I just wanted to make sure you saw this post.

I did a search on MSN and came up with several hits about this Fabrifoam that he mentioned.

Suzanne :)

wendyn on 3/29/03 at 16:17 (114904)

Thanks Suzanne - I probably would have missed it.

I can tolerate my orthotics themselves - I can't tolerate shoes themselves. Something like this product my help with the support though - I will look into it when I have more than 4.6 minutes of spare time (which is all I can come up with lately!

Thanks again!

Suzanne D on 3/29/03 at 16:35 (114905)

I understand what you are saying, Wendy, about not tolerating shoes and also about not having enough time! I knew it was a long-shot, but I thought I'd make sure you saw the post, anyway.

I went to the grocery earlier today and was in the same aisle with a lady with two little boys. They were sort of taking up the whole aisle for a few minutes, but I was rather enjoying watching the two little ones. She looked at me and said, 'Oh, I'm sorry! I was so distracted with these children.'

I replied, 'I understand: my daughter's getting married a week from today!'

She said, 'I guess they take up your thoughts at any age, don't they?'

I'm not sure why I got into all that, but I guess without the social board I am having a hard time sticking to just questions and answers. Sorry!

Bev N on 3/29/03 at 17:35 (114906)

Suzanne, Are we going to see a wedding photo? Such an exciting time for all of you, the day goes by so very fast and furious. We will be out of town at Chuckies Cheese for our grandsons 3rd birthday party while you are having a wedding. Have a very blessed day. See, no social board so I said it here, I hope it was okay. Bev

Suzanne D on 3/29/03 at 17:47 (114907)

Thank you, Bev! I hope your grandson's party goes well. My daughter who is getting married loved the Chucky Cheese place when she was little.

If the social board gets back up, I will try to post a photo.

Thanks again!