Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Social page

Posted by Leon S. on 3/28/03 at 16:01 (114832)

What's going on with the Social Page?

Re: Social page

carynz on 3/28/03 at 16:21 (114835)

hi Leon,

I think if you read between the lines, there's been way too many different opinions posted and heated discussions between people lately, so Scott has decided to take a cooling off period. That's just my take on the message but I think I may be right!

I am sure it will be back soon though. Please remember that the other boards are not for visiting but for questions/answers and information!

Cheers,
Carynz

john h on 3/29/03 at 09:34 (114871)

Leon: the Social Page has been moved to USA today and FOX News or if you prefer CNN. Semper Fi buddy.

Necee on 3/29/03 at 13:24 (114887)

Ok, I think the 3 day cooling off period has expired. I'm bored with nothing exciting to read!

Happy trails.......
Necee

Leon S. on 3/29/03 at 14:28 (114895)

I want my pot stirred!

Suzanne D on 3/29/03 at 16:02 (114901)

I sure do miss it, too! I will think of something that I would like to tell you all; then I remember the Social Board is down. I hope it will be restored soon and that everyone will be kind to one another!

Suzanne :)

john h on 3/29/03 at 18:45 (114912)

Consider your pot sitrred Leon. Wendy and I as moderators think we have done an excellent job since taking over the Social Board. No fights or bad words.

Kathy G on 3/30/03 at 00:49 (114917)

I, too, am looking forward to the Board being up again. Hopefully this time, it will be a civil place and the antics of late will have subsided. The Board, I believe, was simply a microcosm of what is going on in this country and I choose to believe that the majority of our posters are too intelligent and caring to resort to the lows to which it had stooped. I thinks some got caught up in the moment and forgot that we were there to be social and support one another!

Re: Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez Scott

marie on 3/30/03 at 18:58 (114941)

:) John, you're such a stitch. You're right no fights or bad words in fact no words at all. :( We are sad and want to share.

;;)Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez can we have the social board. We won't be naughty.

Later gater,
marie

Re: Just what is happening, behind the scenes??

BrianG on 3/30/03 at 21:29 (114953)

Maybe it's 3 weeks, or could it be 3 months?? And what exactlly will be left when the censors get done with it? Will the search feature still be worth using??????

Are posts actually being removed, or is it just a cooling down period????

Thanks
BrianG

Pauline on 3/31/03 at 07:35 (114959)

I realize as much as anyone the importance of the social board to all that post, but I really get concerned when words like 'naughty' are used to describe actions of the posters on this site when using that board.

Maybe this will become the first topic for discussion when the board returns, but I've personally never thought of any of the heated discussions or poster for that matter as naughty posts or posters.

For the most part this is an adult forum although anyone is welcome. I'd like to think that we are capable of carrying on with some form of diginity inspite of the fact that the Social Board is down.

We're not looking at the end of the world here folks and if it never returned we would all learn to survive without it.

I'm only one person, but I certainly have no feelings of punishment being inflicted toward posters because Scott took the board down for a while. Looking at it like it is a punishment never really occurred to me and to be honest seems a bit childish.

Backboarding is still an option, providing information on the other boards, reading a good book, helping a senior do her shopping, heading to church for an extra service, voluneering at your local nursing home, driving a cancer patient for treatment, reading to young children, joining a pet to pet program, answering the phones at a crisis center, helping at a soup kitchen etc, etc are all ways I'd like to suggest to fill ones time until the social board crisis is over.

marie on 3/31/03 at 08:09 (114963)

Pauline,

I understand exactly were you are coming from. I guess we're not allowed to have fun, smile or laugh. I will refrain from having a sense of humor.

Aside from that....all your suggestions are good ones. Believe it or not I do those things already. I don't have to be asked or told. I do them because I enjoy helping others. I do alot of shopping for our local food pantry. No one knows about it. I don't want a pat on the back I just want to make sure that the folks in our community that don't have the basic supplies have them.

thanks again for your response,
marie

john h on 3/31/03 at 09:17 (114967)

The social board filled some inner need that many people have. To communicate with people they have a realtionship with and to be heard.. . Volunteer work can be rewarding but does not necessarily fill this need to express your feelings and to feel you count. Many of us have expressed our feelings that no one seems to understand our pain with PF. Often not even our spouses and those close to us. The social board along with the other boards allows people to communicate with people who at least understand your pain and what it has done to your life. Of course this is just my poersonal opinion..

john h on 3/31/03 at 09:25 (114969)

Brian: I think I am a moderator as is Wendy (not censors).The board is currently down for what I think is a cooling off period. That is up to Scott.I do not think you will get any censorship or taking sides from me or Wendy. For my part I will simply suggest that people act like an adult if that is required. I am very much a freedom of experesion person where I like what they express or not. Simplly put- state your opinion and avoid calling people names. We sort of do this from the 1st grade on. So far I give me and Wendy an A+ as there has not been one bad word or idea expressed on the social board as it is down for thearpy.

john h on 3/31/03 at 09:28 (114970)

Marie as a Psychatrist would say to you: 'How do you feel about this?' You can always email me with all you complaints. I will file them with my wife's. The social board is totally under the control of Scott. He has more control over the board than Saddam.

Re: good thoughts

marie on 3/31/03 at 09:29 (114971)

I think you and I have the same feelings. I think you're right on. We need to bond with others who have had a similar experience. I think criticizing each other is what gets the board messed up. That's my opinion though.

Gotta go...I have a grant to write....I serve on the Humanities council and I want to bring a ballet company to our school. Many dancers get PF and TTS.

thanks,
marie

marie on 3/31/03 at 09:30 (114972)

No complaints here just missing you guys.

marie

Pauline on 3/31/03 at 10:30 (114984)

John,
The important thing I'd like to stress is that the social board is not gone for life. Sometimes as adults we are asked to deal with adversities that are thrown our way. I don't happen to think this is one of them.

Loss of the Social board for a week, 3 days, a month isn't the end of the world. It's nothing patience won't cure.

Re: We should leave the treatment board for treatment topics.

Pauline on 3/31/03 at 10:33 (114985)

This is the treatment board so until the social board returns, we'd better leave this one open for that topic.

Re: Back to treatments. Progesterone cream is helping TTS and PF.

marie on 3/31/03 at 13:55 (115008)

John thanks for volunteering. I understand we need a cooling off period. Pauline is right so I won't beg anymore. :) I just love using the smileys.

A treatment that is working for me...anyone else try it? I started using progesterone cream and it is making a huge difference. It is in the vitamin section at walmart. It is for menopausal women but I don't know why it wouldn't work on others. All I know is that the swelling is way down. There may be to several other things I am doing as well that is helping but I notice more pain and swelling when I don't use the cream.

Cheers
marie

Re: Everything you have always wanted to know about the war in Iraq and the peace movement

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/31/03 at 13:57 (115010)

;) Just thought I would get some attention.
Perhaps we will here from Scott as to the status of the social board.
Ed

wendyn on 3/31/03 at 14:00 (115015)

Other than an email from me to Scott where I asked him if he was serious about needing moderators, and his response to me which was a password to delete threads - there's been no real discussion about whether or not moderation itself is really necessary.

I think that Scott's decision to shut the board down for a while is probably far more effective than any type of peace keeping effort may have been.

I would regard it as a cooling off period - and Scott's way of getting everyone off his back for a while. (I think he'd had it - and I can't say I blame him)

Since this is technically the foot board - I will also add that my feet are sore today - and occasionally feel like they are ripping on the bottom.

Yuck.

:-s

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/31/03 at 14:26 (115022)

Marie:
You have opened an area hardly ever discussed here: hormonal influences on PF. Unfortunately, more needs to be learned and I think information will be coming out in this area over the next few years.
Is the progesterone cream you are using OTC?
Ed

marie on 3/31/03 at 18:24 (115053)

Yes Ed it is over the counter.It is 480 mg of progesterone per ounce. It is made by nature's bounty. I bought it because I am post menopausal. I was an early menopauser. I started menopause when I was about 36. My doctors said no way. Wouldn't test me. I suffered through menopause on my own. Finally at 44 they tested me. My GP apologized and said I had the highest score he'd ever seen. I started on hormones about the same time I beagn having problems with my feet.

I eventually went off it along with all the other meds because we were trying to figure out if the meds were causing swelling. I didn't go back on. So I have been trying vitamins and hollistic menopause formulas. I bought the cream because I thought what the heck mabie it'll give some relief to my aching joints. I am taking 900 mg neurotin, 30 mg elavil, 2000 glucosamine , 1000 MSM and 500 magnesium daily in addition to the cream...it's been 3 months. I don't have compression socks but I have found tights and support hose do a great job....my GP has worn them as well after he broke his leg. So hey guys you can play Joe Namouth.

I read some reports about magnesium and women with early menopause. I think it has also helped.

All I know is that I am walking. I am walking well enough to sign up for the MS walk. I hope to do at least a mile. The swelling is down. I went grocery shopping for the first time in two years. I know not everyone is the same so I wouldn't suggest for everyone to run out and buy a bunch of stuff. Just want to share what's working. I'm not a doctor so please ask yours before you do anything.

marie

marie on 3/31/03 at 18:28 (115054)

@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-@};-

A dozen roses for you Wendy. I am thinking about you. I sure hope you feelbetter soon. I have had ripping sensations in my calves I know how uncomfortable you must be. Take care of yourself. don't worry about the social board it'llmend itself with time.

marie

Re: Everything you have always wanted to know about the war in Iraq and the peace movement

marie on 3/31/03 at 18:34 (115055)

Ed,
I love your sense of humor! Thanks. We just got our smileys and we want to use them. :D

Since this is a treatment board I don't think we should forget that laughter is the best medicine. Sometimes it's just nice to forget our foot woes and laugh. Distraction from our feet really helps.

By the way I am on the staff for next year....not sure if it will be part or full time. I am talking to a counselor about starting my masters in school counseling? What do you think? Oh wait I keep forgetting this isn't the social board. Sorry Scott.

marie

BrianG on 3/31/03 at 20:02 (115060)

Thanks John, I'm just glad to hear that wholesale deleting is not taking place. I probaly use the search engine as much as anyone. As ugly as some as it was, I'm glad it's still all there!

Thanks
BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/31/03 at 20:11 (115061)

Marie:
The Masters degree sounds like a good idea. It appears to be an area that you would be good at. What is the job market like for counselors in your area? By the way, I have never asked where you live -- please let me know.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/31/03 at 20:21 (115064)

Marie:
I am unsure about the relationship of progesterone levels to pain/inflammation but would use your results as a guide. One problem with hormones in a pill form is that when pills dissolve, a large amount of hormone is released at one time which is not a good way to replicate the natural slow release of hormones. This is where creams have the advantage of gradual absorbtion, a more physiologic situation.

Testosterone which is often viewed as a male anabolic hormone is needed in smaller amounts by females and may have an influence on the healing process. Adequate amounts of testosterone are needed to maintain tissue quality which is an issue in PF and other tendinopathies.

Hormone 'balancing' is an area that may need to be looked at more closely by doctors when it comes to musculoskeletal problems. It is an area, aside from nutrition that is often overlooked.
Ed

Re: Marie...

Suzanne D on 3/31/03 at 21:32 (115073)

Good for you, Marie! I am trying not to post social things on other boards, but in the absence of a social board, I wanted to tell you I was glad you are hired for next year. And you are right: smiles and laughter and good wishes DO help us feel better all over. :) That's part of a good treatment plan!

Here in Kentucky, teachers must get their masters in a certain number of years after they graduate. I think your idea of getting your masters degree in counseling is good. Anything that helps give you expanded opportunities for positions is a good thing. And I am sure the classes you would take would be useful to you in teaching.

Take care! I've been glad to read that your feet are improving!

Suzanne :-)

Richard, C.Ped on 4/01/03 at 07:53 (115085)

Well...the three days have passed. Its time to socialize again. :-)
Richard

marie on 4/01/03 at 09:25 (115090)

I live in the northeast corner of Indiana in Steuben County.

marie

Kathy G on 4/01/03 at 16:25 (115108)

Okay, I feel adequately chastised. We were bad boys and girls but I really wish the Boards were up again! I miss all my friends. Maybe if we post many social messages here, Scott will relent and put the Board back up. On the other hand, maybe if we post many social messages here, Scott will get mad and keep the board down longer! You're right, John, he has more power than Saddam. We bow to thee, oh Great Scott, and we miss your wonderful social board! We've all learned our lesson.

Marie, I'm glad that whatever you're doing is working for you. If your calves are hurting, you can try Julie's exercises or use a tilt board. That usually helps me quite a lot.

Wendy, sorry your feet are hurting. You did say your shins were better though, right? Was it due to a particular treatment and do they know what caused the lumps?

Hang in there, everyone. But I have to say, this is the longest three days I've ever seen!