Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Two years without pain

Posted by Bob G. on 3/29/03 at 01:32 (114859)

Hello to all, It has been a long time since posting as a regular, but I happened upon this site, old friend, and wanted to post a word of encouragement to all who suffer, and thanks, Scott, for this site. I am back to jogging, so this PF can be beat. Gently stretching everyday with the footflex, I always wear arch supports. The nightsplint is up in the closet, just in case, but I think I'm out of the woods on this. The best advise I can offer, in a word, rest. I finally figured out it had to rest in order to heal. Took me about a year (it did take time) of rest, but worth it. Good luck, and hope you all make it, too. BG

Re: Two years without pain

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/03 at 08:54 (114866)

I am so glad to hear that you are out of the woods on this and even jogging! Rest also helped me to heal. You are right; it really DOES work, although it's not the easiest thing to do sometimes. I feel that the gentle stretching every day, which you were doing, is especially important to those who are resting their feet.

I usually don't wear arch supports any more, but then I never did before I got PF either. I have got to the point where I wear my New Balance and SAS shoes without orthotics and just with the insole they came with. I have a less supportive SAS shoe that I got after I was feeling better, with only two holes for the laces, and wear them for work (a desk job). My custom orthotics and shower stool are up in my closet (I never tried a night splint). I am not a runner but by last June I was feeling no pain and have been able to do anything I could do before PF, and returned to my usual activity level.

I thought I was completely 'out of the woods', but lately with a lot of stress in my life I've had some very mild twinges in my feet for the first time in about eight months. So, when that happens I stretch and wear my Birkenstocks more and don't try to push things. I guess it will be a little longer, but I don't feel a need to return to resting a lot. The twinges are so mild that they might not even be real.

I first got PF on Sept. 22, 2001.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 3/29/03 at 09:00 (114867)

Thanks for letting us hear the encouraging news, Bob! Are you the Bob G. who is pictured with Judy S. on this site? If so, I am thinking perhaps I remember that you wore Birkenstock blue inserts and experienced good results? Please forgive me if I have you confused with someone else.

I wore Birk blue, 3/4 length inserts for several months in SAS shoes, later switching to Superfeet. I also wear Birk shoes. I am much improved, I am thankful to say.

It was good to read your encouraging post! If you ARE the same Bob G., then it seems I remember the last time you posted that you were going on a nice vacation. But maybe I'm mixed up again...:)

I hope things continue to go well with you,
Suzanne :)

Bev N on 3/29/03 at 09:54 (114875)

Hi Carole , How are you doing? How is Bob doing? I have been thinking a lot about you and hope things are going better for you. How is the yard coming? Still to cold here to go outside, 30 degrees and a tiny bit of snow coming down today. We had a freak day a few weeks ago of 70 degree weather one day, what a tease! Have a nice day today, Carole. :D

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/03 at 14:07 (114891)

Hi, Bev. Bob seems to be getting worse instead of better, mentally, since his stroke which was about 3 weeks ago. His doctor is concerned and has referred him to several neurologists to find out what's going on, but the verdict isn't in. Luckily, he's improved a lot physically. But his mental confusion is so bad that he cannot take care of himself and his short term memory is grim.

I haven't worked on the yard yet this weekend, though it needs it. It was 80 degrees here yesterday, but a cold front came through so highs are expected in the 60's today. The yard is greening up and looking a lot better, and the banana trees have grown about a yard. I need to plant some bushes that can stand the cold.

I can do things like planting shrubs now, without my feet causing me any problems. In fact, today I went to three large 'warehouse' type furniture stores and a couple of smaller furniture stores, and looked at every single thing they had. That's a lot of walking for me! Probably it was several miles. My feet feel fine, though. I didn't spend a dime, either. LOL

Carole C

Re: Oh, I was talking about a different Bob, not Bob G (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/03 at 14:33 (114896)

Bev N on 3/29/03 at 15:31 (114899)

Bob G, When you said you had to have a year of rest, was it 'completly off feet' rest, or were you still working during that time, or just quit jogging for a year?

JudyS on 4/01/03 at 11:26 (115098)

What a treat to see your name, Bob! I'm just back from playing in a softball tournament in Las Vegas so I guess I'm pretty close to healed, also. Can't jog more than a mile yet but boy is it one happy mile!
I am so very happy for your success and a big 'thumbs up' to you!
We'll be in SLO Apr. 25 weekend and again June 15. Shall we make a date?