Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I think I have PF

Posted by Laura A. on 3/29/03 at 18:05 (114909)

I have been suffering with heal pain for 2 months now. After researching on the internet I do believe that I have PF. My question is...should I bother going to my doctor for him to tell me what I already know or should I just go ahead and order the night splint and give that a try first? Also, I saw IB cream advertised from England...has anyone tried it and if so does it really work?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Laura

Re: I think I have PF

Suzanne D on 3/29/03 at 19:36 (114915)

Hi, Laura! I'm sorry you're in pain. Many, many people here can relate and sympathize!

I think it would be wise to see a doctor as there are other issues that might be involved. The dr. might do an x-ray to make sure you don't have a stress fracture, etc. Also, the dr. might prescribe for you an anti-inflammatory drug.

Have you read the Heel Pain Book on this site? Just click on those words to bring it up. The more informed you are when you visit the dr., the better you can communicate and understand.

I haven't tried any cream but have taped, stretched, wear othotics, Birkenstocks, taken Naproxin and after almost 2 years have improved a great deal.

The sooner you start treatment, Laura, the less chance you have that your PF will become chronic.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :)

Richard, C.Ped on 3/31/03 at 07:55 (114962)

Laura,
The best thing to do right now is to get a proper diagnosis just to make sure it is PF. You never know, it could be something else. If you do not have a current physician, call around and ask it the doc knows about PF. You will be suprised how many GPs do not know about it. You may also want to call a few DPMs as well as orthopedic docs as well.

If you want to, I would suggest posting what they told you so we can give you advice.

Richard, C.Ped

Ellen J. on 4/01/03 at 17:56 (115116)

Hi Laura,
I agree with the other notes--it's a good idea to see a doctor. Although some appointments might not give you any information that you didn't already know, there's a good chance that the doctor might be able to tell you something that you need to know in order to recover fully. I have had P.F. for almost 4 yrs and am getting over it slowly. You will probably recover much more quickly than I did, and I've had it for this long because I did not see a doctor right in the beginning. Also, it's taken me awhile to discover that too much arch support can be as bad as too little arch support. I have had many doctor appts. and some were useless but the others each gave me a new piece to the P.F. puzzle.
Ellen J.

Laura A. on 4/01/03 at 18:29 (115117)

I want to thank everyone for their responses and their help! I have made an appt. with my doctor and yes he is educated in this area to a degree but...the first thing he prescribed over the phone until I see him are the heel supports...ok..I read up on them..they may add cushioning but really won't help...I really want to know what will heal this condition...no pun intended...lol...rest...no stress to the heal...night splint...I have to work...and walk on my job...I'm a preschool teacher...but fortunately I have it easy...yeah right...anyway...I just want to be able to walk on my foot. Two weeks ago my back went out...I think a pinched nerve...and I know it was from favoring my foot...all the pressure on my right side...that is better now but now I'm afraid to move the wrong way...geeze...getting older ....NOT OLD...is not fun! I am 47 and to young to feel like this...oh yeah...menapause is setting in! What fun...hot flashes like crazy...and driving me crazy! HELP!!!!!! LOL...
Limping...sweating Laura.

Laura A. on 4/01/03 at 19:47 (115123)

Hi Ellen...I don't like saying this but what you had to say is sooooooo discouraging....4 years? OMG...I heard that PF can be chronic but my goodness...that long...? I've given this a lot of thought and I believe mine started in November...so I've had this for 4 months...is that to long for a full recovery....because if it is then I'm doomed! I can't stand the fact that I might have this much longer...but it sure looks that way. Stretching really helps but doesn't cure. I don't lead an active life...actually no life at all...lol..no not funny but ya gotta laugh...says who...lol...anyway....LAUGH! Ok Ok OK..enough of the funny stuff...I always get the weird stuff...why..?..I don't know...I don't have insurance unfortunately...when my ex left me he took that too and I really can't afford it at the moment so...I do what I can do and my doctor understands and he works with me but God forbid anything serious happen..but MY FOOT IS SERIOUS!....OK OK OK>>>Time will tell!
Laura

Ellen J. on 4/02/03 at 09:22 (115148)

Hi Laura,
Since you have only had this since november, that's not too long. Are you feeling any better at all since then, or worse?
Stretching is good, as long as you stretch really gently and as long as your foot is not worse the day after you stretch. Some people have to stay away from stretching at first, until the foot heals a bit since stretching can aggravate it if done too much.
Check the shoes you are wearing--they can cause the P.F. to continue if you don't have the right shoes for your feet. I started to heal up when I found the one pair of shoes that worked and stuck with them. If I wore any other pair, my foot would get worse so now I only wear this one pair. I'm healed up enough now that I'm cautiously trying other pairs, but I only wear a new shoe for 1/2 hour a day at first.
Great that you are finding humor in your situation! I always figure, you might as well laugh since feeling miserable doesn't help, right? I had to laugh one night when I was lying on the couch with my feet near my boyfriend's leg (he was sitting at the other end of the couch). He was watching hockey and had his 'sports look', which is a vacant stare at the TV. His team scored a goal and he reached down without knowing it and grabbed my foot, jamming his thumb into the arch. When I yelped, he slowly turned his head toward me (eyes still on the TV) and said, 'whaaaat?'. He never was aware of squeezing my foot. Luckily, the foot was only worse for one day after that.
Ellen J.

Lara t on 4/02/03 at 11:14 (115158)

I'm 50 and find getting middle-aged quite annoying sometimes with all the chronic complaints (knees, neck, blah blah blah). Our bodies weren't designed to last this long.

It sounds like I'm too late, but I'll pass on my suggestion for what it's worth. I went to two podiatrists before hitting paydirt with the third podiatrist. The difference was the 3rd podiatrist advertised that he had interest/focus/speciality (I don't remember which) in sports podiatry. Many podiatrists seem more familiar with aging and diabetic issues, and not as familiar with injuries of overuse. I'm not really an athlete, but I was playing tennis and doing karate. With both of the first two podiatrists (who have good reputations that-in my more reflective less critical momemts- I am sure are well-deserved - they did several very appropriate things in analysis & treatment although they really blew it with my case) I can see that they really saw me through a lens of experience with diabetes and aging issues, and when I didn't fit, they tried to fit me in (one said it was the first sign of diabetes, the other that it must be in my head since I tested negative for diabetes).

I'm sure there are many fine podiatrists (and ortho surgeons) that don't special in atheletes (week-end or otherwise) who know PT/TTS. But if I don't have any other basis to consider, I'd see if they know sports podiatry, or ask them how many PT, and how many TTS patients they have.

Bev on 4/02/03 at 16:04 (115188)

I wonder if Moses had PF, he lived a 'little' longer then 50 years, that's for sure:0) and I know he walked a lot more then us, right :)

john h on 4/03/03 at 10:13 (115278)

Bev: Moses wore sandals and went barefooted so I bet he did not have PF. I am no Biblical scholar but is not Moses one of the people we really have no first person accounts of or is it Abraham?

Laura A. on 4/04/03 at 20:10 (115441)

Well I went out and bought the hell ....oops..I mean heel cups....I bought the good ones so she said....at least the most expensive..made of silicone...they looked nice...ha ha..but still I'm thinking...if my foot hurts...what good will these do me...I still can't put all my weight on my foot..oh well...I did it..so be it...so I put them in my tenners...lol...I am getting new ones and according to PF news they say to buy NB..and thats what I have...so...I will get another pair...hmmmm....Oh well...Moses...Adam....whomever...we all walk barefoot...and I love it..I don't know and don't care what foot ailments they may have had...all I know is that MY FOOT HURTS! I'm tough and I'll deal...but it sure would be nice to feel good for a few days!
Once again thanks for all the support everyone has given me! You guys are great!
Laura

Ellen J. on 4/04/03 at 21:12 (115446)

Hi Laura,
I hope the heel cups work for you and that they don't turn out to be 'hell' cups! I know how depressing it is to be hobbling around, not able to go to the grocery store or some other necessary errand. I used to walk slowly, like I was very aged, creeping along. That bad phase was pretty short, however.
I sure wish I could just go barefoot and skip all this orthotic stuff (maybe I will someday!)
Hope you feel better soon--keep us posted!
Ellen J.