Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction or TTS?

Posted by Debbie W on 3/30/03 at 21:35 (114954)

Following my doc appointment on Friday when my physican indicated I am now suffering from tendonitis that has complicated my recovery from open PF surgery, I have been doing some research on the internet. My question is -- can PF and the surgery lead to Posterior Tibial Tendon problems? Or to TTS? My symptoms sound like they could be either one as I do have tingling into bottom of foot in addition to the pain in arch and tendon that runs up from it below the ankle bone. Thank you.

Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction or TTS?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/31/03 at 14:05 (115016)

You are describing symptoms that could be consistent with TTS. Tibialis posterior is the primary invertor of the foot so TPD can lead to PF.

Can PF surgery lead to TTS? I am not aware of that happening although I could envison how an incision that is a bit too distal could cause nerve entrapment.

One scenario is that TTS can be a 'great imitator.' Heel pain diagnosed as PF, particularly atypicala PF may have been due to incipient TTS after all.

Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction or TTS?

Debbie on 4/04/03 at 17:32 (115432)

Dr. Davis...what do you mean when you say ' a bit too distal'? Thanks.