Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

herbal meds

Posted by Bev N on 3/31/03 at 08:40 (114964)

One thing I was wondering about (actually, I wonder a lot about this PF) is the usage of herbal meds for the pain. So many times I have people telling me that 'so-and-so had sore feet too and took ----- and now they are fine'. So many people think that what PF is can be 'cured' with just a pill, and they make me feel like I am faking it cause so-and-so was healed , she didn't have to quit her work, or rest all the time like 'you do'. I had a friend call last evening and say she was talking to someone who had heel spurs and was 'cured' with Coral Calcium, anyone heard of this ? Has anyone had any experience with any herbal products that helped at all? Thankyou for your input on this. Bev

Re: herbal meds

john h on 3/31/03 at 09:07 (114966)

I have taken to many products to mention over 8 years and none have produced any significant results. I still use Jade more as a creame for massage.

Sharon W on 3/31/03 at 09:40 (114973)

Bev N,

Many claims have been made recently for coral calcium... primary among them, of course, is that it's the form of calcium best absorbed by body tissues. I don't know if that's true or not. I do know (and I'm sure you do too) that lack of calcium in the bones causes osteoporosis, that too little calcium in the blood can cause cramping and muscle pain, and that there can also be such a thing as TOO MUCH calcium in the blood...

As for herbal meds that help with PF pain -- I've found Devil's Claw remarkably effective for pain, but it does have surprisingly strong sedative properties when taken by capsule, so if you try it, be sure to do so at night. For nerve pain, some believe that hypericin is helpful. (Hypericin was once believed to be the active ingredient in St. John's Wort, but it's now believed to affect nerve health more than mood.) Hypericin is available in various forms.

Sharon

Kathy G on 3/31/03 at 10:10 (114983)

Bev,

Over the years since I've had trouble with my feet (8 years to be exact), I can't tell you the number of people who 'know someone who took some miracle cure of some sort and are fine now.' I don't know, maybe there is some miracle cure, herbal or otherwise out there that none of us on these boards, nor our respective doctors know about, but I'm a bit skeptical! For my part, I take Glucosamine w/chondrotin, calcium, and recently added fish oil to my regular vitamin regiment. I have read that fish oil helps with inflammation. It kind of upsetsmy stomach so I'm easing my way into taking it.

I am very hesitant to take any natural remedies since there is no agency to oversee quality and quantity of an ingredient so I don't really know what I'm getting. The FDA has many faults but at least it's a policing agency of sorts.

When people tell you that these people have been cured, just smile and say how wonderful it is for them. And it is........if it's true!

Sharon W on 3/31/03 at 14:00 (115014)

Kathy, Bev,

I agree with Kathy, at least with respect to most of what she said. :((Sadly, many claims are made for non-prescription 'miracle cures' and they always seem to be disappointing. It IS wonderful if people have been cured by taking some vitamin or mineral or herb or whatever... But having faith that you're improving is a powerful healing force, by itself... And one also has to wonder whether time and rest and medical treatments such as orthotics finally brought about the improvement, and they just gave all the credit to the last thing they'd tried. Remember, the large majority of people who get PF DO recover from it without the PF problem becoming chronic and/or requiring more drastic treatments such as ESWT and/or surgery.

That said, I do believe that herbs are useful for many things, if they're carefully researched before you take them (so you'll know about any known side effects, or about any medicines they shouldn't be used together with). The Devil's Claw, as I said, really does help knock out pain and reduce inflammation -- and it helps with sleep, too. However, I wouldn't take it together with Coumadin, or any of the blood thinners, because it does tend to have a similar effect (especially if it's taken regularly). It also may annoy your stomach if you already have a tendency to get indigestion.

A little story about Devil's Claw: my nephew had Lasix eye surgery and he turned out to be that rare person with a strange anatomical anomaly that makes it painful and very slow to heal. For about a week after the procedure, he couldn't go anywhere without very dark glasses. He'd been having a lot of pain that made him unable to get to sleep, or stay asleep, so he'd been overdosing himself on Tylenol PM. When I found out about that I told him to stop, that too much Tylenol is dangerous for the liver. Then I gave him one capsule of Devil's Claw and told him to go lie down. Six hours later, when he woke up, he said he felt a WHOLE lot better... and I gave him the rest of the bottle of Devil's Claw capsules to take home with him.

I'm NOT claiming that the Devil's Claw 'cured' him of his eye problem -- it didn't. What it did was reduce his pain and help him to sleep... and that was just what he needed, at the time.

Sharon

Bev N on 3/31/03 at 14:54 (115029)

Thankyou Sharon, I too take Tylenol PM for sleep, unable to sleep if I do not take something. I will check into your other suggestions.I am not into any herbal products now as I do not want to mix all that with my heart, BP, and PF meds , but I will check into things if I think they will help. I too, just like so many on this board , am very fed-up with this pain. It is disrupting my life and making me cranky as all heck anymore - UG! Therapy is not helping this time around either. Therapy takes the pain away for 4-5 hours and then it is back full force again. Well,a happy thought, Springggg is here :) Thankyou everyone again for all of your help and support , gets me through another day. Bev

marie on 3/31/03 at 18:43 (115056)

Bev
I am trying a variety of things and have found some have helped drastically. But it could all be coincidental and maybe I was on the way to healing anyway. I have done alot of research and if you look at the thread below about the social board you will find my comments on vitamins and progesterone cream. All I know is that when I don't use the cream twice daily I notice a difference. I didn't really get it as a cure for tts and pf. I got it because I am post menopausal and thought I'd try it on my aching joints. All I know is that 6 mos. ago my docs said get use to being disabled. I was functioning at about 35% walking ability. I am at 85% today. It could be any one of the things I am doing or I believe I have just hit on the right combination for me. I have been following this regemint for 3 mos.

marie

Bev N on 3/31/03 at 19:28 (115058)

Thanks Marie, Super about being on staff next year! About the cream, do you put it on your feet? You sure are fortunate to have found the right combination to help you walk again :o) I wonder if all the guys are going to have their wives go out and buy the progesterone cream for them? Are you not in pain anymore from the PF? Do you think you just hit the right combination of meds and vitamins to relieve the pain and swelling? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am searching for ideas to help me with all of my pain and swelling. I am on the neurontin and 800mg Motrin, does not help much though, however the burning on the bottoms of my feet is better,but not the pain. Thankyou, Bev

marie on 4/01/03 at 09:31 (115091)

I noticed the difference almost immediately after I started using the cream. I put about a teaspoon worth on each leg twice daily. One time I ran out of progesterone cream and thought I'll get some later. I put it off for several days. I ended up back on my scooter by the end of the week. So now I don't run out. The cost is about 12.00 and is well worth it. I put it on ankles, entire foot and lower calve. I have problems with my kness so I put some there too. I can only speak for myself. It may not be a cure and I am sure that the meds and vitamins are also helpful.

good luck,
marie

Bev on 4/01/03 at 10:28 (115094)

marie, Thankyou very much. You sure are a success story -- going from a scooter to a MS walk -- really super :) You sound like a super person too - 0:) So nice to 'know' you B-) Have a nice day. Bev

Pam S. on 4/02/03 at 20:57 (115227)

If I am taking prometrium orally as part of my HRT can I use the progesterone cream on my foot. Did you say it helps with nerve pain such as TTS also. What about tennis elbow (even thou i do not play tennis i have chronic tennis elbow go figure) sorry i know this is not a post for elbows just info about that cream THANKS!!!

marie on 4/04/03 at 15:02 (115419)

You shoud probably ask your doctor about it. I made the decision not to use HRT. I use a projesterone cream made by Nature's Bounty and is located in the vitamin section at walmart. It is over the counter. It has helped me. It's not the only treatment I use, but I do notice a difference when I don't use it for several days. You can put the lotion werever you want.....so use it on your elbows.

marie