Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

exercises for calves

Posted by SteveG on 3/31/03 at 13:14 (114998)

After suffering from bilateral PF for over a year, I noticed the other day that my calves (muscles) have atrophied. I have been using some of the machines at the gym for the other muscles in my legs - leg press (with light weights) for my quads, machines for the abductor and adductors, etc. However, all of the machines for the calves, and the ones I see on the web, have you stand on your toe and lift with the ball of the foot. I think walking on my toes is one of the things that gave me PF in the first place, and I don't want to risk more injury. Can anyone recommend an exercise that will help me work my calves - thanks

Re: exercises for calves

Julie on 3/31/03 at 13:45 (115004)

The simple yoga non-weight bearing exercises for the toes and ankles that I have posted here will work the calf muscles. Click on the word yoga.

If you're using the leg curl and the leg extension in the gym, keep your feet dorsiflexed: you'll be working your calf muscles while you work the hamstrings and quads.

Re: exercises for calves - PS

Julie on 3/31/03 at 13:47 (115007)

I don't know if you're able to walk, but if you are, moderate walking will restore tone to your calf muscles. If you're totally non-weight bearing, then only my above suggestions apply.

marie on 3/31/03 at 13:56 (115009)

I have been doing a few yoga exercises. It works well for me and isn't to hard to do.

SteveG on 3/31/03 at 13:57 (115011)

Julie - thanks for the help and insight. I will start doing these yoga exercises at the gym

Sharon W on 3/31/03 at 14:33 (115024)

Julie's Yoga exercises really do work.

Mike W on 3/31/03 at 14:36 (115025)

Hello Steve,

You are right to avoid any standing calf exercises because they are physiolgically incorrect.

If your calf muscles have atrophied then your anterior (front) lower leg muscles are probably weak as well.

Yoga exercises are a good choice for stretching but are stretches not strength building exercises.

For information on safe and effective toe,foot and lower leg exercises please check out my website, http://www.foottrainer.com .

Mike W

Julie on 3/31/03 at 14:56 (115031)

fyi - yoga, practised in a balanced way, is not just for stretching. The exercises for the toes and ankles I've suggested to Steve do strengthen.

dave r on 3/31/03 at 15:14 (115034)

You should see what my calves look like after 6 years of pf.......