Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS

Posted by Barbara H on 4/01/03 at 09:14 (115089)

I was diagnosed yesterday with TTS following an EMG. I have had severe tingling, numbness and electrical pain in both feet for about 5 years. Just got around to checking it out because I have been preoccupied with my husband's serious health condition until he recently died. Diabetes was ruled out about a year ago. Everything I find on the web reefers to pain in the ankles and arches...but mine is predominantly in the toes and secondarily in the arches. The doc says my nerves are healthy and that other forms of nueropathy are not the problem. I also have carpal tunnel. Is it normal for TTS victims to have pain in their toes? My biggest complaint is that it wakes me up at night. I can tolerate it during the day as I am a very active person and do a lot of gardening and other outdoor stuff which keeps my mind off of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Barbara, Laramie, Wyoming

Re: TTS

Sharon W on 4/01/03 at 15:56 (115107)

Barbara,

Some of us with TTS do have tingling and numbness in our toes, others do not. I never did. But the other stuff you described sure sounds familiar to me...

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/01/03 at 17:42 (115115)

Barbara:
TTS can manifest itself with symptoms anywhere on the bottom of the foot.
Is your doctor providing you with medication to relieve the pain ant night?
Ed

marie on 4/01/03 at 19:29 (115120)

Barbara,

Welcome to the board. What you described is a very familiar TTS story. My TTS symptoms began in my metatarsals. I also had numbness and pain in some of my toes. Night was the worst time. In my case TTS affected my calves and knees and thighs. I have been tested for everything under the sun, moon, and earth because the symptoms were not the norm....finally I found a doc that knew something about TTS and he gave me some direction. I had twitching and jerking in my legs and toes. Sometimes one toe would get to jerking and it was the weirdest sight. It's just strange to see one toe jerking in all directions while the others were still.

If your doctor hasn't perscribed something ask him ASAP. The first thing the docs will probably do is treat you with cortezone injections and anti-inflamatories. I liked advil and when I couldn't sleep excedrin pm helped.

If you go through this process with no releif your doc will probably perscribe (if he doesn't ask about it) Neurontin. Many of us here take it. It will probably help your carpal tunnel as well.

I am sorry to hear about your husband. I am sure that you have had a difficult time coping with all your husband's health problems and having sore feet. Please visit often we are here to help and just yak a little too. Take care of yourself.

marie

Mary Y on 4/02/03 at 02:50 (115139)

Hi Barbara,

I often have twitching in my legs because of tts. Did you find something to alleviate those twitching sensations? They are really bothersome.

thanks

Lara t on 4/02/03 at 11:23 (115159)

My doctor talked about neurontin, but before prescribing it he had me try compression socks. It helped things so much I never took the neurontin. I am considering neurontin (or perhaps elavil) again, as my feet eventually stabilized at a very liveable level, but still present. I'm thinking maybe neurontin would let me go back to tennis and other such things (but then I'd lose my excuse not to do so much housework;)). At the moment I'm waiting to finish up two classes with heavy rote memory (about 300 words/week for each class) - then I'll think about it again. Not sure if I will try it or not.

Barbara H on 4/02/03 at 12:19 (115164)

My doctor is not yet providing me with medication to relieve the pain at night. I hope to hear from him today. Have you used compression socks?

Barbara H on 4/02/03 at 12:22 (115165)

Thanks Marie. I was beginning to think I was crazy...waking up all of the time in the night because my feet were twitching and hurting with sharp electrical pains. I hope to hear from my doctor today. This is so new to me I really appreciate everyone's help. Barbara in Wyoming

Barbara H on 4/02/03 at 12:24 (115167)

What kind of compression socks do you use and where did you get them? I will certainly give them a try. Barbara in Wyoming

Lara t on 4/02/03 at 19:32 (115215)

I got them from my doctor and by prescription at a medical supply store. The prescription is obviously from the doctor- he has mild in the office, but I have to go to the medical supply store for the moderates. The Rx ones come in mild, moderate & something stronger. There are also OTC socks - often used by people with varicose veins. They aren't as strong (don't 'compress' as much I presume), but you could always double the socks and see if you get any relief - unless that's a bad idea from a medical standpoint. I'm just a suffering patient, not a medical advisor. I felt benefit within a day or two from the prescription 'mild's (although I did double them at times for awhile - I could tell they were helping, but not fast enough for me - it was easier to double the milds than the OTC cuz my milds were anklets, not knee socks) - although it took a few months before I stabilized at a liveable level.

Well, enough rambling - I'd fix it up but my husband wants the internet for some tax forms.

Pam S. on 4/02/03 at 22:24 (115235)

Lara,
Do you wear the socks all day without taking them off? Do you sleep in them also? Could they cause bunions because they are tight in that area of the foot? I am getting alot of relief from these socks also - better than orthodics. Do you wear orthodics also? I just ordered these I have which are anklets from Surgical Supply. The ph is 800-523-0706 for any of you who want to try them. You can just order one and see if it helps you. I think they are around $l5.00 for one. No doctor ever recommended this to me only you all. I just got back from Mexico and I shopped all day (almost) with those compression socks on with sandles and i felt pretty good. YEA. Don't yu think that is pretty great?

Pam S. on 4/02/03 at 22:27 (115236)

Please note my questions and message above to Lara. I am a little out of the line up here Thx. Hope you see this, Lara

Mary Y on 4/03/03 at 04:36 (115251)

Hi Lara,

Thank you for responding to my post! I hope you continue to get better. I will ask my orthopedist about the socks.

Re: Response to Pam

Lara t on 4/03/03 at 06:50 (115255)

ONly have a couple of minutes so will rattle off the answers without being too chatty. I often wear the socks 24/7. Depends on my activities and attire. Sometimes I sleep in them - sometimes cuz I forget they are on, sometimes cuz I've been very active. Sometimes I switch between mild anklets and moderate knee highs (which somtimes win out not because I need moderate but cuz I need knee high hose instead of cotton socks over the anklets for certain occasions).

I've never thought about bunions. In the approx. 3 years I've been wearing them I haven't had a problem. Should I worry about them?

I used to wear orthotics. Got them long before the compression socks. I gave up the orthotics not because they were bad, but after the compression socks stabilized things the orthotics didn't add much and were a hassle, and couldn't be used wtih all shoes. Now I wear DANSKO clogs. Between them and my compression socks I have a nice life.

HOPe I answered your questions. Gotta run but happy to answer more questions.

Pam S. on 4/03/03 at 09:22 (115270)

Dear Lara:
Thx for taking the time to answer my questions. Do not worry about the bunions. I just tend to worry about my feet too much but as you know they have quite a 'presence' in our lives. I just know I have read one should not wear shoes that are too tight and that can cause bunions to occur. I do not think these socks would cause that. Standing on my Mexican tile kitchen floor cooking etc. is a killer for me. I have noticed that I can get thru the evening wearing my Birks and these socks without that burning. Have you ever heard of putting a pad down where you cook?
Do you have PF also? I think these socks help hold everything together so I also gave up on the orthodics. However, I am extremely careful about my shoe selection. I wonder if I should look into getting these prescription socks? I guess if I am doing well this way I should just let it be. I am so sick of going to the dr. and I have never heard of anyone wearing these until I starting talking to you all.
Enough of MY ramblinb. Thank youD!!!I am happy you are doing well

Lara t on 4/08/03 at 11:03 (115668)

Pam: Have you ever heard of putting a pad down where you cook?

Ans: You're assuming I cook :)) I did a lousy job of cook BEFORE I got TTS.

I don't think I have PF also.

Dot B on 5/07/03 at 05:34 (117989)

Hi Mary, I don't know if this helps the twitching, but I have restless leg syndrome and found that only one aspirn heiped almosst immediately. Since I have started taking primadone for Parkinsons Disease it has stopped completlely. By the way I have had resless leg syndrome since my early twenties. (more years ago than I care to count;;))