Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS, surgery recovery and running

Posted by DixieH on 4/01/03 at 14:54 (115104)

I've been recently diagnosed with TTS (positive NCS) and am undergoing conservative treatment first (cortisone injection). However, the pod thinks this will likely go to surgery. I'm an active runner (or used to be), cyclist, and swimmer....I've been able to continue cyclying thru this so far.

I guess my question is: how many folks out there have resumed an active lifestlye after surgery? (Of course, I'm hoping that it won't go there but...)

Any input would be helpful.

Re: TTS, surgery recovery and running

marie on 4/01/03 at 19:33 (115121)

I'm not nearly as active as you. I am happy just to be walking and out of a wheel chair. I hope to keep walking daily and begin cycling soon. Keep your positive attitude and I am sure you'll do well.

PS: Check the surgery board. Many folks there may be able to tell you more.

Re: TTS, surgery recovery and running

kristio on 4/02/03 at 19:20 (115211)

i can only relate my experience, which is not necessarily typical. first of all, i hope the treatments work for you, and you don't have to have surgery at all!! that would be the best possible outcome, and i'm sure you feel the same. i have been very pleased with my surgery. after my doctor took my stitches out (9 days postop), he told me to come back in 2 weeks, and that i was free to do 'as much as i felt up to.' i was off the crutches (with a limp) 2 days later. 4 weeks after surgery i resumed my pre-TTS activities including step aerobics and kickboxing. i eased back into these, only doing what i felt comfortable doing. the only pain i experience now (5 weeks postop) is a little stiffness/soreness in the morning, which makes me limp slightly until the muscles in my foot and ankle loosen up.

best of luck to you :)