Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are there certain personality types who get PF?

Posted by Kathy G on 4/01/03 at 16:41 (115111)

Hi all you doctors,

I'm just curious if you have ever noticed that certain personality types get PF. I know it's a true physiological disorder and that body type as well as activity level can contribute. But do you notice more 'Type A' personalities afflicted? Could it be that these people tend to have tenser muscles due to stress and that those muscles become inflamed and they thus are more prone to PF?

I ask this because I can deny it all I want but I have always taken out my stress on my body. Heck, I don't even think I'm stressed and my body reacts like I am! I am typically Type A, a perfectionist, a fixer and a quiet worrier, despite a lifelong battle to change myself. I'm not 'hyper' but I have a lot of energy. I have always suffered from muscle spasms in various parts of my body. I have an ulcer. I have TMJ, which is currently acting up unbelievably. I also have border-line high blood pressure but that's congenital and it went up since I had to stop exercising.

So I'm just curious, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Do I have all these things because of my basic personality or does having just one of them cause stress which manifests itself in other stress-related ailments? Does my TMJ act up because of the frustration I experience from having PF?

Have you every noticed a predominance of personality types or are you not able to spend enough time with your patients to make such a judgment?

Just wondering!

Re: Are there certain personality types who get PF?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/01/03 at 17:32 (115112)

Kathy:
I have not seen any correlation to personality types when it comes to PF.
The largest group of PF patients I have are factory workers and machinists who stand on concrete/asphalt surfaces all day. Most in that group tend not to be type A personalities. Many of the runners I see with PF are type A.
Ed

Mar on 4/02/03 at 11:06 (115157)

Kathy -

This is an interesting theory. I'm a Type A by nature, and although I too have overcome a lot of it, it's there. The tension, tight muscles, running to do everything -- makes sense. Wonder about the others on this board. Of course, I'm also a teacher who stood all day long for 28 years with about 20 of them in heels!! And walked barefoot the rest of the time!! And then had surgery which triggered everything!! It's still an intersting theory though! Mar

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/02/03 at 14:04 (115177)

I personally have seen patients with all types of personalities suffering with plantar fasciitis. I've had overweight patients, skinny patients, tall patients, short patients, Type A patients, laid back patients, athletes, couch potatoes, whites, blacks,.......... I appreciate your inquiry, but in my practice plantar fasciitis seems to have no favorites, though patients that are active and overweight patients naturally are at higher risk.

Mar on 4/02/03 at 16:40 (115192)

Dr W -

Yes, I am sure that what you say is correct. You see, we type A's must continually try to figure out WHY we have what we have and HOW we can solve it. We are obsessed and therefore invent theories to satisfy our obsessions!!! ;-) We don;t know how to just let it be!! We'll learn, we'll learn -- it;s probably the lesson that the universe is trying to teach us through this chronic PF. Hope I get the lesson soon!! Mar

Kathy G on 4/03/03 at 17:02 (115335)

Amen to that, Mar!

smurff on 4/11/03 at 01:40 (115921)

Kathy*

I am currently living overseas and going through an incredibly stressful life situation. I have noticed a direct correlation between days I am stressed, and the level of growth in the fibroma. I definitely think they are related. I also jogged a lot on pavement which I now regret. Take it easy.