Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

exercising with plantar faciitis

Posted by brenda l on 4/01/03 at 19:29 (115119)

I was recently diagnosed with plantar faciitis. The pain moves around my heel and up the sides of my heel.
I have been using my Nordic Track every other day. However, I am wondering if this might aggrevate my foot more. I have not noticed any increase in pain.
I have found that if I wear an elevated heel, my foot does not hurt as much.
Please comment on the use of the Nordic Track. Also, what is your opinion of wearing higher heeled (stacked) shoes?
I do also have a gel-cushioned heel pad. It doesn't seem to improve the pain. Any comment?

Re: exercising with plantar faciitis

Carole C in NOLA on 4/03/03 at 07:34 (115260)

I'm not a doctor, but the gel-cushioned heel pad didn't help me much either. I'd suggest reading the heel pain book on this site for some ideas that will help.

A slightly elevated heel does seem to help if you have a little Achilles tendonitis along with your PF, as I did.

PF is a serious problem that can disable people for long periods of time. It takes a long time to heel, but the faster you start treating it and start to heal, the faster the healing process will be. Because of this fact, if I were in your situation I'd completely stop the Nordic track and focus on resting my feet and getting healing started for a couple of months. Then, it's easy to slowly re-introduce the Nordic track and you'll be able to tell if it makes things worse or not.

When I first got PF, I had just started using a new recumbent bike (exercycle). These are supposed to be fairly harmless to people with PF, so I didn't stop using it. It turned out that in my case it was the cause of my PF, due to the fact that I was misusing it (riding barefoot at high tension settings, with the seat too far back). That's why I'm suggesting that you stop the Nordic track even if the docs say it's all right, and re-introduce it later when you are on the road to healing. You'll be able to tell by then if it makes things worse for you.

Carole C

Re: I lift weights with Joyce Vedral, 12 minutes plan

Mahatmelissama on 4/03/03 at 15:45 (115321)

I highly recommend this plan...check it out.