Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

So, OK, what about this tennis ball, golf ball stuff

Posted by SteveG on 4/02/03 at 14:18 (115179)

When I first started treatment for PF, I used to roll my foot over a tennis ball. I kept one at work and one in my living room. I don't think it made much of a long term difference, but, I swear it felt so good I would purr like a cat. However, one of the pods here on the board (Dr. Z?) told one of the posters to stop using a golf ball since it could further injure the fascia. I was looking at one of my tennis balls today with longing and I thought, hey, why not. Is the general impression that using the tennis ball would be OK as long as I don't put too much weight on it?? Can I take my shoes off now and get started?

Re: So, OK, what about this tennis ball, golf ball stuff

Pam S. on 4/02/03 at 20:52 (115225)

This is a great question. I cannot go half a day without my tennis ball massage. I do not put ALL my weight on it but quite a bit. A golf ball was too hard for me. Maybe Dr. Z will respond to this. I have been doing this for quite some time and I get so much pain relief. I have not exactly been diagosed with PF -JUST TTS but this tennis ball seems to release many gritty things in my arch. I do the tennis ball massage several times a day. Comments anyone?

Dr. Z on 4/02/03 at 21:58 (115232)

I am not sure why you are getting relief, always afraid you could do more damage. Would you roll a tennis bal or golf ball over a fractured bone. No
but if it appears to help you can't argue with sucess. Maybe you are massaging other tendons and not the pf.Just don't know

Carole C in NOLA on 4/03/03 at 06:24 (115252)

It sounds like you need something pushing upwards in your arch area, like I did with PF. I used to put my arch on the edge of my coffee table and gently push (while sitting), and that felt wonderful to me. I agree with Dr. Z, that if it feels good it's probably all right, though if it was me I'd only do it sitting down so my whole body weight wasn't on it, and I'd stay away from golf balls while standing.

I'm wondering if either Birkenstocks or a really good pair of custom orthotics might help you a lot, like they did me. Among other things they might help by providing an 'arch bump', but it might be better shaped for your arch than the tennis ball. Just a thought, though I'm sure you've tried them but I can't remember.

Carole C

Bev on 4/03/03 at 07:24 (115259)

Do the tennis balls feel so good because they are soft? I have been using Goose Bumps massage balls - I keep them on the floor under the computer desk and roll my feet on them while I am sitting here on the computer. Is this something anyone else uses? I use them for my chronic PF.

Bev on 4/03/03 at 10:44 (115283)

Now I an concerned, could I be doing more damage to my feet and PF using these goose bumps massage balls?

john h on 4/03/03 at 11:57 (115295)

Bev: if they make your feet feel worse do not use them.

Bev on 4/03/03 at 12:05 (115301)

No John, They actually feel good, I was just wondering if I could be doing more damage than good using them, I surely do not want to do anything that will cause me more damage, as I want to be a success story like you someday :0)

Kathy G on 4/03/03 at 17:00 (115333)

When my arches were bad, I used a cold soda can and I swore it helped. I would do it while sitting down. I often think I should try it again but I remember Dr. Z saying I could cause damage so I stopped. I tend to be over-zealous when I do things so I probably would hurt myself. It was also a great source of amusement as the cans always seemed to develop pin-sized holes and start to spray the kitchen when I did it! Little things amuse little minds!

I never tried a golf ball, though heaven knows there are plenty around my house do to my husband. They just seem too hard. And I never tried the tennis ball but that makes more sense to me.

Maybe it's one of those things that's individual. I just don't dare attempt it again for fear of hurting myself!

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/03/03 at 17:27 (115340)

Steve:
It is a form of deep tissue massage. Sometimes it is a bit hard to determine what amount of pressure is therapeutic and the amount of pressure that can cause harm.

Deep tissue massage is an adjunctive treatment and has a place in the treatment spectrum. Being in the Puget Sound area where we have institutions such as Group Health Cooperative, I see too many patients who were told to do nothing more than some home stretching and rolling over a ball and that is where this type of treatment can get a bum rap.
Ed

Re: Coke vs. Pepsi

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/03/03 at 17:31 (115341)

Kathy:
I recommend frozen Coke cans over Pepsi ;) for arch rolling massage.
Ed

Re: Hey Ed! What about 7-UP?

Kathy G on 4/04/03 at 09:49 (115381)

The un-cola! :D

Re: Hey Ed! What about 7-UP?

john h on 4/04/03 at 10:14 (115383)

Definitely a diet caffeine free coke.

Re: I have been using a Prana ball, which you keep in the freezer.

Cyndi T. on 4/18/03 at 11:08 (116527)

It is made by Wilson, the website is http://www.wilsonsports.com . I showed it to my physical therapist, who thought it was a great idea. It is a little smaller than a tennis ball, and made of rubber.

Dorothy C. on 5/04/03 at 01:12 (117779)

Can you give any more specific information about this 'Prana ball'? Since reading your message, I have been searching in stores and online for a 'Prana ball', including on the Wilson Sports website and at dealers carrying Wilson Sporting goods. No 'Prana ball'! The Wilson website you referred to does not list anything called a 'Prana ball' and doesn't show anything that seems to match your description. Can you describe it in more detail or even better, where to obtain one?? Thanks.

Cyndi T. on 5/07/03 at 16:59 (118042)

You can order the prana ball from Caroline Myss's website. Go to this page: myss.com/substore.asp. Then click on Prana ball halfway down. The info that came with my ball also listed the Wilson sports website, so that's why I gave that one initially. Sorry to steer you wrong.