Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How soon after eswt can I start massages & exer.s (P.T.)?

Posted by MegK on 4/02/03 at 17:57 (115200)

How soon after ESWT can I start physical theray (massage and exercises)? I must have a pretty sever case of PF, since I am still unable to walk on my foot two weeks after ESWT. I am looking for something I can do to get mobile again, at least before I could walk for about 10 minutes. Since I cannot walk at all without pain, would crutches be a good idea? Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: How soon after eswt can I start massages & exer.s (P.T.)?

Dr. Z on 4/04/03 at 17:33 (115433)

Hi

A pair of crutches is helpful, so is taping, boot cast. Phyical therapy such as whirlpool and ultrasound maybe helpful. Go back to your ESWT doctor and have him examine your feet first

MegK on 4/05/03 at 07:26 (115466)

Dr. Z,
Thank you for your reply. I have been using crutches some of the time. My foot doesn't hurt as much. I tried the boot cast prior to ESWT. It made my PF much worse. I haven't been doing any PT (whirlpool or ultrasound). When I asked my Dr. at my two week follow up, if PT could be considered at this point, he said it was not. I had been doing simple exercises at home (toe curls and extensions and moving my ankle up, down and to the sides and gently holding for a count of five), that I thought were helping. He said to stop these as they may be the reason that I am not doing better. This concerns me as I don't want to get any weaker. I am thinking of trying a different Dr., but am concerned that a new Dr. may not understand if a post-ESWT foot should be treated any differently than one that has not had the ESWT treatment. Should it? By the way, the machine used was a Dornier Epos Ultra, 3500 pulses were administered. My pain is in the medial arch area, primarily in the area where the fascia attaches to the calcanous, but it also runs along the medial arch to the metatarsal. My Dr. says that he has done 50 people, of these there is only one other non-overweight patient of his who has not felt better within weeks. Thank you in advance for any comments you can provide.

Dr. Z on 4/05/03 at 09:26 (115468)

Veryu tough to give additinal advice with hands on examination. You are only two weeks out and time may help you resolve this pain, but very tough to help you without seeing you

MegK on 4/05/03 at 13:43 (115478)

Where are you?

Dr. Z on 4/05/03 at 15:55 (115492)

Near Philadelphia,Pa. Where do you live. If I can't see you maybe I know someone in your area with alot of ESWT experience

MegK on 4/06/03 at 10:43 (115528)

I live in Williamsport, PA.

Dr. Z on 4/06/03 at 11:49 (115530)

hi

Is this near Philadelphia, Pa. Not sure where you are. Will talke a look on the map

MegK on 4/06/03 at 13:53 (115534)

Dr. Z, This is about 4 hours north west of Philadelphia. It is also about two hours due south of Harrisburg. Thank you.

Dr. Z on 4/06/03 at 14:06 (115536)

E-mail Dr. Z at (email removed). I have the name of a podiatrist who is in Lancaster, Pa. Has experience with ESWT. Is this close to you

MegK on 4/06/03 at 15:10 (115539)

It is closer than Philadelphia. It's about two hours to the southeast. Does your Podiatrist have much experience?