Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stupid Question about ESWT

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 4/02/03 at 21:33 (115228)

I was wondering does ESWT work by basically by killing off nerves, permanment numbness? Or does it work by promoting the foot to heal..or both?

I am seriously looking into ESWT (meeting pod who does ESWT on Friday) and I need to know.

I ask since my chiropractor (who is trying to talk me out of getting ESWT) seemed to be saying that to me.

Re: Stupid Question about ESWT

Dr. Z on 4/02/03 at 21:48 (115230)

Hi

ESWT stimulates the body to laid down new tissue to replace the injuried, torn plantar fascia. In addition it blocks the pain receptors by stopping the action potential of the nerve at the basement membrance. This is a chemical reaction and not a killing off of nerves. Great procedure with little to no side effects. Why would your chiropractor be against someting that isn't really surgery

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/03 at 23:42 (115242)

He is against surgery and this also. He is good at what he does...he uses a muscle stimulator (electronic thing called an Axim or something like that) to stimulate my back, he used to use it on my feet when I first started my PT with him. I think maybe he confused it with that?

Dr. Z on 4/02/03 at 23:43 (115243)

Why would he be against ESWT ? Strange.

Re: I meant to say he is a good chiro but he doesn't know ALL (so I seek consul) ;)

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/03 at 23:43 (115244)

eom

Darn, wish I could have edited my prior msg.

Re: Ok...

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/03 at 23:46 (115245)

He says his muscle stimulator thing (it zaps...I can actually feel it on my back tickling me) to 'do the same thing'

He says 'it will make muscles stronger, causing them to tighten up...and deaden nerves'

I am paraphrasing here, pls keep this in mind.

That is his impression.

Bev on 4/03/03 at 07:41 (115261)

Mahatmelissama, The ESWT info I have says that the machine produces and directs powerful shockwaves to the damaged tissue. This causes micro-trauma to the tissue and activates your body's own healing process.The newly traumatized tissue is replaced with strengthened new fibers called Fibroblasts. This new tissue is stronger and more flixible than your previously damaged tissue. I hope this helps.

Pauline on 4/03/03 at 10:36 (115281)

Hi,
To gain some farther insight you might want to read the FDA hearing reports for each machine as it went through the FDA approval process.

These hearings provide text with questions asked by the approval board with representatives from the manufacturer.

If nothing else it's an interesting read and does provide some insight into some of the complications that occurred during the studies.

You can do a search on the FDA web site.

Here is just one report link. I hope it works for you to get you started.
You'll find in doing research like anything else the first step is the hardest. It will begin to grow on you.

http://fdagov.sitesearch.google.com/fdagov?client=fdagov&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efda%2Egov%2Fohrms%2Fdockets%2Fac%2F00%2Ftranscripts%2F3633t1%2Ertf+ossatron%20anesthesia

Re: I saw Dr. K today

Mahatmelissama on 4/04/03 at 14:48 (115414)

bbv.cgi?n=115411

Dr. Z on 4/04/03 at 17:32 (115431)

Neuroma pain can cause the exact level, type and distribution of pain that you are describing. You foot pain history is very typical of neuroma

Mahatmelissama on 4/04/03 at 18:01 (115437)

I am glad to hear that since I went for the shot. Dr. K says most people need 3 of these shots before they get enough relief.

I do have some soreness in heels but not nearly as much as toe area.

My X-Rays looked good...no spur or scar tissue.

He used a mixture of cortizone and other stuff. I hope this doesn't weaken my foot. Time and the devil will tell if my left foot improves a lot. Today it is sore.