Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long to wait until having bunion surgery

Posted by Louise J. on 4/03/03 at 00:32 (115246)

Hi. I am going to have to have bunions on both feet removed sometime.
I inherited these, and have been on my feet all my life waiting on tables.
(I am in my late 40s). They do not bother me when I work, but I know I should have it done sometime. My doctor says I also have some arthritis
in my feet. Although there is no real pain, my toes are stiff from this
and do not bend as much as they used to.
It would be economically disastrous for me to spend the next year out
of work for probably a month or more following two different operations.
I am past the stage where more conservative methods would make much difference. I simply wear strong, wide shoes. My doctor is in no hurry and
understands that this kind of thing requires planning. But I wanted to
know if there are other opinions on the possible consequences of putting this off for several months when I run around in a restaurant for up to 12 hours a day sometimes. My feet don't seem to feel any different after 5 long work days, but I wonder if I could do more damage than might be obvious to me.
Thanks for any help you might offer.

Re: How long to wait until having bunion surgery

Pauline on 4/03/03 at 10:52 (115287)

I'm not a doctor, but I wouldn't be in any hurry to have any surgery if there was not a real definate need.

Your doctor is telling you there is no hurry and I applaud him for not wanting to rush you into a surgery that may cause you more problems than you already have.

No surgery is without risk so when the benefit of surgery outweighs it's risk then consider it, but certainly not without a second opinion.

All to often we think that foot surgery is minor stuff, but the foot is more complicated that we appreciate.

My advice is treat any surgery with care by avoiding it as long as you can, do your homework ahead of time, and get at least one other opinion before you have it done.

Mar on 4/03/03 at 12:21 (115305)

I agree with Pauline. I know most people have successful bunion surgery, but I am not one of them. If you are not having pain, do not rush into surgery. I had surgery 2 years ago and have gone from a very active person who walked everywhere to not being able to walk even a block. The old saying 'if it ain't broke, don;t fix it' has some merit here -- 'if it don;t hurt, don;t fix it!' Just my opinion from personal experience. Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/03/03 at 17:40 (115343)

There are three reasons patients present to me for bunion surgery:

1) pain in the big toe joint
2) big toe is leaning outward, crowding or deforming the lessor toes
3) painful bump at the base of the big toe which may make finding shoegear that fits difficult.

The 'bump' is the most visible part of the bunion but is actually in 3rd place, often a distant third, in the list of reasons for seeking bunion surgery.

Dr. Z on 4/03/03 at 21:11 (115363)

pain and the inability to most shoes are the two reasons

Louise J. on 4/12/03 at 02:03 (115987)

Hi. I just wanted to thank everyone who advised me about my bunion surgery. I AM going to wait a while. I appreciate all your opinions,
and I think I am right to stall as long as I can!!