Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Bev on 4/03/03 at 10:49 (115284)

I have been reading on the boards on the use of Topamax in place of the Neurontin. Are they both used for the burning and pain in the foot and for PF ? I know that Topamax is used for seisures , and my daughter is on it for her migranes(she goes to a pain clinic). I was wondering if the Topamax would have less side effects than the Neurontin, and if it can be used in place of the Neurontin. Thankyou.

Re: Topamax

Bev on 4/03/03 at 10:54 (115288)

P.S. We are having a snow and ice storm here today, all schools closed and really nasty out there!

Sharon W on 4/03/03 at 12:14 (115304)

Yes, both Neurontin and Topamax are originally anti-seizure meds.

I've never heard of using Topamax for PF, but it is prescribed sometimes for PN (peripheral neuropathy) -- and, occasionally, for tarsal tunnel syndrome (TTS). No, Topamax does not have less side effects than Neurontin -- actually, it has almost all the same side effects as Neurontin, but many more besides. In fact, the list of side effects for Topamax is almost twice as long as the one for Neurontin. But it IS sometimes prescribed for people who have had a bad reaction to Neurontin.

I won't take the time to list any of the side effects not listed as either 'common or 'serious,' but here's the info for those two categories (according to the Springhouse Nursing 2001 Drug Handbook):

For Neurontin: fatigue, sleepiness, dizziness, lack of coordination

For Topamax: fatigue, sleepiness, dizziness, lack of coordination, confusion, difficulty with memory, nervousness, paresthesia, speech disorders, tremor, abnormal vision, double vision, nstagmus, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection

For Neurontin: leukopenia

For Topamax: leukopenia, generalized tonic-clonic seizures, suicide attempts

I hope this info is helpful.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/03/03 at 17:04 (115336)

Topamax is newer than Neurontin and has similar indications. Remember that when reading the PDR and package inserts, the drug companies are listing virtually every side effect that ever happened -- in some cases it is not known for sure if the effects were actually caused by the drug or not.

Topamax can be used in children as young as 2 years of age and has a reasonably good safety profile.