Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Flowers reporting from northern Indiana

Posted by marie on 4/03/03 at 19:21 (115358)

Well I know spring has starting popping in the southern most states but we just finished a cold blast up here. Finally my dwarf dutch irises popped yesterday. They are the first flowers of spring. I have several thousand bulbs planted and am patiently awaiting their arrival. What's the first sign of spring in your part of the country? Maybe I can live vicariously through you.

@};-

Re: First Flowers reporting from northern Indiana

wendyn on 4/04/03 at 09:00 (115376)

Snow - snow - snow.

Ice

Spring will be here eventually

john h on 4/04/03 at 09:37 (115378)

warm,flowers,birds chirping, and green grass.

Kathy G on 4/04/03 at 09:45 (115379)

Well, we got about 2' of snow overnight and snow, sleet and freezing rain are expected through tomorrow, but my crocuses are underneath it all! Crocuses are our earliest flowers and while mine are blooming, we've actually only seen the flowers a few days because we haven't had any sun. I fear they will rot from all the dampness. Maybe Sunday - they seem to think we'll have some sun then before we get more rain.

In past years, they have come up much earlier. Often, they come up and we get snow on top of them. When the sun comes out, it's so pretty to see the little purple, white and yellow flowers peeking up through the snow.

We also have some early tulips up but they will take quite a while to bloom. The weather has been very strange this year. They are forecasting 6-10 inches of snow in northern NH today which is great for the skiers. But the maple sugar farms are in trouble since for the sap to run, they need warm days and cold nights. We haven't had many warm days. I went by a lot yesterday with several sap pails. They won't have much in them for a while.

I've always said that I wouldn't want to live anyplace where there was no winter because I wouldn't appreciate the spring and summer as much if I did. This year is a real test!

Tammie on 4/04/03 at 10:39 (115391)

Envy Envy Envy!!!! We had a beautiful day here the other day hubby found our crocus up and insisted I come out to see. He also drug me to pick up my loves of my life (my 2 poodles) they were being groomed and it was so sunny and bright. I have been having a bad flare with the RSD , So I went felt mighty poor as I wore a thick sweater and everyone staring at me with there shorts and tees lol. I was freezing and feeling ill. BUT seeing the flowers and the sun gave me the bit of hope maybe I needed that MAYBE warm weather shall come and MAYBE this flare will pass and MAYBE we will find the right treatment. we are working on it. So John as you see them beautiful flowers and sun and the birds and most of all the smell of grass ,close your eyes intake breathe and think about your northern friend.

Thanks! Hope all are well! I still peak in and check to be sure all are well or hanging in! Sad about all the former troubles. I pray each day for our guys to stay safe and compleate there job and come home the heroes as they are for even signing up to protect this great country we choose to live in!I thank all that have formally and currantly served there country as to me they all are equal heroes. Some talk some act, the ones who sign are the true heroes! Love to you my friend

JudyS on 4/04/03 at 11:05 (115393)

Kathy, believe it or not, even a place with 'no winter' (I'm in San Diego) has enough cold, yukky, grey days to make us appreciate spring. And boy, did we appreciate it last week! I got my first crop of roses and my lilies burst out just a day or so ago. I played ball in a tournament in Las Vegas last weekend and even the spring weather there was spectacular. Alas, today we seem to be back to our 'winter' such as it is with cold, gray skies and rain soon to follow.

Bev on 4/04/03 at 13:39 (115406)

Okay John, Rub it in :D you enjoy that lovely weather :> ours will come soon I hope :). You ahve a lovely day :-)

Bev on 4/04/03 at 13:43 (115407)

Kathy, My son had a pretty good sap run, they boiled this week and got 12 gallons so far. It is a hobby he and some friends do.He has lots of recipes to cook and bake with the syrup too.