Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Loosing range of motion

Posted by Mike J on 4/04/03 at 10:30 (115389)

I have had PF for almost 18 months now and for most that time it was very severe where I would rarely walk more than a few steps at a time (I work at home so this was possible) I have had ESWT done twice and recently gotten some better orthodics and my foot has slowly been getting better.

Over the past month I have been going to the gym and walking the track trying to build my foot back up since its been so long since I have walked any distance. I am now up to 3.5 miles a day however the past two weeks I have been loosing the mobility in my ankle. WhenI try to bend my foot up at the ankle there is very little strength there and it only moves about half has much as my other foot. When walking right before you step on a foot you generally bend it up so the heel first impacts the ground. After walking for a few minutes this movement is no longer possible in my bad foot. Its alsomst as if the muscles done want to work. I am also unable to curl my toes up as I can do in my other foot.

This is starting get scary and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Loosing range of motion

Mike W on 4/04/03 at 13:24 (115404)

Hello Mike,

Please check out http://www.foottrainer.com for information on how to strengthen all foot and lower leg muscles.

Regards,

Mike W

Richard, C.Ped on 4/04/03 at 14:45 (115413)

It might be possible that you have a short heel cord...but don't quote me on that. If it is, a slight lift in the orthotic can help. Also, look into a good shoe with a rocker bottom. The main thing is to find out what is going on by seeing your doc.
Richard

Donna SL on 4/09/03 at 19:42 (115795)

Mike,

It may be a good idea to have some type of neurological exam by either a physiatrist, or neurologist to rule out the possiblity of a condition called 'foot drop' that may be developing. There is a lot of info on the web if you do a search. Basically a problem in the lower lumber spine, and/or an injury, or compression to the the peroneal nerve can sometimes cause these symptoms.

In the beginnging the symptoms can be so mild that the condition is overlooked, but nerve conduction studies, and emgs can sometimes pick it up before symptoms become more severe. Foot drop can usually be resolved with conservative therapy.

Regardless any type of developing weakness should be investigated by a physician for neurological problems, or other causes.

Donna