Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. K thinks I have morten's neuroma..I got a shot today

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 4/04/03 at 14:43 (115411)

Let me tell you firt of you, I am big baby. I freaked out but the kind doc was able to do the shot. It didn't hurt much (he used a blocK). He shot right between my pinky toe and other toe next to it cortizone mixture to help inflammation.

He felt based on the pain areas (near toes, inner ankle) I had morten's neuroma probably...and maybe a smattering of PF. My heels are not very sore, just barely sore.

He took x-rays.

We'll see what happens. I am at work (sit down job) and trying to get over how freaky my left foot feels right now.

Re: Dr. K thinks I have morten's neuroma..I got a shot today

Carole C in NOLA on 4/04/03 at 14:54 (115418)

Mahatmelissama, I'm so sorry to hear that you have Morton's neuroma! At the same time, I'm glad he thinks you do not have bad PF right now.

I don't know much about Morton's neuroma. After everything you've been through, it must be less than cheerful to find out you have an additional condition. I hope that Morton's neuroma heals faster. Maybe the shot will help. You are braver than I would have been.

Does this mean that ESWT won't help?

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 4/04/03 at 15:03 (115420)

Hi Carole,

You are so sweet. I was pretty upset to find out after all the docs I have seen, nobody went for this dx. It does seem to fit my symptons to a tee (cramping in toes etc). My PF may not be that bad, he said most people would jump off the chair when he pressed hard on my heel and I was like 'la dee da da' UNTIL he went for the toe areas.

The shot was between toe NEXT to pinky, not pinky and other toe. He put a shield up so I wouldn't see (I had already been freaking out). He is such a nice doc he said that other patients were waaaay worse than me (can't imagine that!) and it took much longer to do shot.

Part of my emotional reaction is WHAT THE BLAZES DID NO OTHER DOCTOR TAKE THE TIME OUT TO FIGURE OUT THE SOURCE OF MY PAIN? man, that tees me off!
I can not begin to explain my frustration level at it taking so long for somebody to locate the right dx.

We shall see if I get better. Right now, I am numb and sore. I am having trouble concentrating at work, but it also is a distraction.

My symptons:
-inner ankle pain (sympathy pain?)
-toe cramping big time
-soreness below toes
-unable to handle much pressure/squeezing in toe area

It seems to add up.

Thx for letting me vent.

The shot really wasn't that bad. I think next time I will have somebody drive me over though and perhaps take the day off.

Bev on 4/04/03 at 15:15 (115422)

mahatmelissma, You were so brave, great going. Lets hope this does the trick, right :)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/04/03 at 23:17 (115459)

It sounds like this doctor is pretty astute. He's right about the pain when they poke the heel with bad PF. If you didn't jerk your foot away from him and say 'OWWWWW!!!!!' medium loud, either he got the wrong spot or your PF is not bad at the moment.

I know it's hard not to be angry at the docs for not catching this earlier. But they have so many different conditions to be looking for. The question now, is how is Morton's neuroma treated. I don't know if it responds to the conservative PF treatments we learn here, or not. Mainly the reason why I don't know, is that I don't have Morton's neuroma. Maybe someone else here has read up on it.

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/04/03 at 23:35 (115461)

There have been several discussions of this condition on the boards this past couple of months, so a search should turn up LOTS of info. I do think it's spelled, 'Morton's,' though...

Re: Try just searching on Morton

Sharon W on 4/04/03 at 23:41 (115462)

...That's the right spelling, but for some reason searching for anything that ends with apostrophe s doesn't seem to work.

Re: doing better today

Mahatmelissama on 4/05/03 at 23:34 (115521)

I am doing better today. I woke up for the first time in ages withaleft/foot leg that was not all tight and spasms-ready-to-cramp.

I of course did not take it easy...went to a birthday party and albeit I did sit down some of the time, I stood for a long time...I even chased after my friend's 2 year old who kept going off.

I can feel some pf in my heel now on the left. I think this is a long road but I will keep going down it. Someday I will get the Zone of non-pf.

I have done searches on this board and don't find much about mortens neuroma.

Re: doing great today, see pod tomorrow...now a believer in cortisone ;) eom

Mahatmelissama on 4/07/03 at 12:27 (115584)

Re: Here's a site for you...

Suzanne D on 4/07/03 at 15:08 (115595)

Hi, Mahatmelissama! I'm glad you're doing better after your shot! I am sorry you haven't had the correct diagnosis until now but thankful that you hopefully are on the right road now to healing.

Here's a site I found that might be helpful to you:

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Re: and another...

Suzanne D on 4/07/03 at 15:11 (115597)

Re: I hit the JACK POT!!!! (lots of sites thru one link)

Mahatmelissama on 4/07/03 at 17:12 (115603)

http://www.healthubs.com/morton/ :D