Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

10 days post ESWT

Posted by Jeanne S on 4/04/03 at 16:11 (115424)

I has ESWT in Peabody, MA 10 days ago. The first 2 days I did very little. My foot was numb for 24 hours and still felt strange for another day. I had pain in the back of my heel when I walked nornally or did stairs, but the other PF pain that I had with every step is GONE!!!! I have gradually worked up to regular daily activities (grocery shopping, etc.)but am still limiting the time on my feet. My foot gets achy if I overdo it. I still walk with a limp, but think it is due to being out of alignment after 7 months of constant limping. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking of seeing a chiropractor about this. Thanks to all who e-mailed me with support. I'll let you know how things go from now on.

Re: 10 days post ESWT

SteveG on 4/04/03 at 16:50 (115428)

Jeanne - you need to take it easy on your feet, particularly if you are still walking with a limp. You foot is clearly telling you to slow down. 10 days is a short time in the treatment cycle. I don't know what I chiropractor could do for you, but I would mention the limping to my pod if it continues.

Dr. Z on 4/04/03 at 17:29 (115429)

Did you have pain on the back of your heel in addition to the plantar fasciitis. Is the ankle joint tight and stiff ?

Rosemary on 4/04/03 at 20:43 (115442)

Hi Jeanne,
also had ESWT approx. 8 wks ago. Im regard to seeing a chiropractor, I have done that prior to treatment and throughout the recovery period. Having pain in both feet for so long really threw my lower back out. I believe that I am now walking more normal than I have in a long time, because for the first time (in many months), my back is responding to the adjustments. This week much less foot pain and much less back pain. I must also add that approximately 3 weeks ago, I began twice weekly gentle massages, specifically on the lower leg and very,. very gentle massage on the foot, avoiding the insertional point area.By doing this I hope to encourage blood flow to the area thereby encouraging healing. I also warm soak my feet and legs in the morning (before work and activity) and in the evening as soon as I return from work/activity. I avoid uncomfortable shoes and basically have remained in new balance sneakers. On two occasions I wore shoes, the first time OK then only tonight I felt some tingling feeling - I think we have to be careful not to wear close fitting shoes - may cut down on circulation. I believe in using many approaches to healing - they can't hurt if chosen wisely. Good Luck - hope you continue to do well.

Jeanne S on 4/04/03 at 21:15 (115447)

My pain is in the back of the heel, but only when I walk and flex my foot up, going up on the ball of my foot. Going down stairs also bothers it a little, but it is less every day. My ankle feels fine.

Jeanne S on 4/04/03 at 21:19 (115448)

Steve- I did mention my continuing limp to my doc yesterday;he thinks it might be from my back/hips being out because I have limped for so long. He suggested I try to walk as normally as possible. I don't limp much if I walk very slowly, but it increases as I walk at a normal pace.

Jeanne S on 4/04/03 at 21:26 (115449)

Rosemary- Thanks for the advice. I have worn nothing but birkenstocks for years. I have one pair that has a higher heel and more of an arch and they are the most comfortable right now. My doc wants me to start wearing my New Balance sneaks, starting with an hour at a time and working up to more time. He wanted to put me in orthotics, but I don't want to give up my birks completely...they help my back. Hopefully, I will work up to wearing the sneaks for any lengthy walking (when I get to that point). I am lucky that I recently retired from teaching first grade. I could never have done that with this problem. I'll try the warm soaks. Thanks.