Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When to get a second opinion...any advice?

Posted by Debbie W on 4/04/03 at 17:49 (115436)

Some of my friends and family are pushing me to get a second opinion. Long story short, I had open PF surgery on 12/17 and I am still on crutches. Tried numerous antinflammatories to no avail. Tried one month of physical therapy (including ultrasound, ionophoresis, etc.) and it only led to tendonitis in posterior tybial tendon and tingling/numbness in foot. Saw doc last week and he gave me two cortisone injections (one in arch/near incision site and one below ankle bone on inside of foot) and ordered me to go back to no weight bearing and put my ankle in a brace to stabilize it. I go back to doc on the 11th and he indicated next step might be to cast my foot (air cast or maybe even a hard one - ugh!) if it does not improve. I am frustrated. I have already cancelled a couple of business trips due to this and have a six-day trip to two cities coming up the end of month that I simply cannot cancel for fear of jeopardizing my work. Any advice? I like my doctor and he did worn my it takes 6 months to one year to recover from the surgery he did, but I did not think that meant for this amount of time unable to walk on own, etc. Thanks for listening...Deb

Re: When to get a second opinion...any advice?

SteveG on 4/07/03 at 14:51 (115593)

I think you could definitely benefit from another opinion. It does, as you note, take a long time to heal from the surgery, but discussing your case with another pod or ortho would a least give you a better idea of other options you might include in your treatment plan.

Debbie W on 4/07/03 at 23:33 (115628)

Steve (and others) - have you had experience in getting a second opinion? If so, do they have to start all over again with tests (i.e.; MRI, etc.)? Do they need your medical records from primary doc and, if so, how do you secure them w/out ticking off your primary doc to whom you may return for future treatment. thanks...Debbie

SteveG on 4/08/03 at 09:31 (115647)

Debbie - I assume that by 'primary doc' you mean the pod that did your surgery. You do not need to have the tests done over. In fact, your insurance company would not pay for a separate MRI for each doctor. You don't need to be afraid of getting a second opinion - they are extremely common in medicine. When you decide on the second doctor you want to see, call her office and tell her this is a second opinion and will they take care of getting copies of your medical records from your first doc or do you need to call. If you need to do it, just call your first doc and tell them they need to send copies of your records to Dr. so and so.

Dr. Z on 4/08/03 at 21:16 (115733)

Hi

A second opinion is helpful. Just ask for your records. Need to rule out stress fracture, nerve damage. IF these are ok then time, physical therapy, rest, boot cast, taping are helpful.