Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Rachael T. on 4/05/03 at 14:21 (115482)

Wanted to add & forgot to add this in earlier Birk question.....What opinions have any of you had with Footmax orth? I (at Phys. Therap) ofc. had my foot done on a computer - sitting position w/ foot placed on glass window on floor that made a 'topography' of my foot on the pc screen......from which the orth. will be made. Has anyone else done this? What was their outcome? I am hopeful as my past few orth. prescribed & casted by dr. have never felt comfy nor have they 'healed' me....so the quest goes on & On!~

Re: Footmax

SteveG on 4/05/03 at 14:49 (115485)

Rachael - I am curious, have you had an ultrasound or MRI of your feet? It also might be time to consider getting your heels zapped again. Many people with heel pain have benefited from multiple treatments. Althought my heel pain improved after ESWT, I am considering another treatment to see if I can't further improve my pain. I am fortunate in that I live close to canada, so I can get it done at a reasonable price.

Pam S. on 4/06/03 at 22:36 (115557)

I went to a podiatrist who makes orthodics based on a scan of your foot. I do not know what the name of it is but your foot shows up on this computer like screen and is color coded. He makes othodics for many podiatrists. Has anyone heard of this method? Is this what you are talking about?
I have had the casted orthodics and they were too hard. Then I tried these and this Dr. was just so patient with me and my sooo sensitive feet. My feet never felt well with orthodics no matter what he did or how pliable the material he changed them to. He said there are a small (very small) percentage of people out there who just do not tolerate orthodics and I believe him. I often wonder if I should research a different dr. but I am out of gas about the whole thing. I wonder if I am short changing myself by not wearing orthodics. What is anyone's opinion about this??? I have TTS and probably PF.
I have one more question... I have narrow, bony feet. To walk in the Birk clog (narrows) I have to wear two pairs of socks. My heel is a AAA. Any one know of a good dress shoe for me? I often wear Munroes sp? I have a dressy event coming up and I will have to walk in dress shoes. Thanks for your help!!!!

john h on 4/07/03 at 08:35 (115567)

Ask him if he is having Footmax orthotics made for you. With Footmax you walk across a pad with sensors which will bring up an image on a TV monitor. The results are sent to Canada where the orthotics are made. Several of us wear these orthotics. Cost about $300 +

Kathy G on 4/07/03 at 17:26 (115605)

Yes, I wear Footmax and I walked across the screen with sensors. The printout the doctor gave me showed the areas of my feet on which I put the most stress. While I'm not better, I would not dream of being without my orthotics because without them is just awful. I have had mine for 3 years and had more cushioning put into them back in Septmeber. They were gone for 12 days and I thought I would die! Mine cost $400 but they have given me comfort. The only downside to them is how long they have to be gone for the adjustment.

john h on 4/08/03 at 10:32 (115654)

Kathy: I have a local store 'Snell Prosethetics and Orthotics' that have made a couple of adjustments for me while I waited and did not even charge me. All they do is heat up the plastic and make whatever adjustment you want and it is not big scientific deal. Find a nearby prosethetic/orthotic provider and I bet you can get your adjustments done in 10 minutes.The people that make these prosethic devices are professionals and know what they are doing.

Kathy G on 4/08/03 at 10:58 (115660)

Wow, John, that would be great. Next time I need an adjustment, I'll try that. Beats $90 but more than that, it beats being without them for twelve days!

john h on 4/08/03 at 18:31 (115716)

Kathy: I am amazed they charged you $90. that is outrageous. I simply told the technician where i wanted the arch lowered a little and he just heated it up and did exactly what I wanted. We did it a couple of times until I was satisfied and he did not charge me anything. What city are you near?

Kathy G on 4/10/03 at 08:44 (115836)

Near Manchester and Nashua, NH but I can easily get to Boston in about an hour and a half, depending on the Big Dig!

There's a cobbler down in Nashua who does some orthopedic work and I'm pretty sure that he could do an adjustment for me. And up in Manchester there is a brace company. I went there to see a C.Ped and I never asked her, but I suspect that if I ever need another adjustment, they could do it for me. I just never even thought of it.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/12/03 at 00:29 (115982)

One of the top biomechanist and orthotic expert in the country practices in your area -- you have little need to travel. I will look up his name when I get back to the office on 4/14.

Re: Here he is...

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/12/03 at 00:58 (115985)

Howard J. Dananberg, DPM
21 Eastman Ave.
Bedford, NH 03110-6701
TEL: (603) 625-5772
Individual Map
Directions To Office

Found him on the APMA website. http://www.apma.org He is brilliant.

Rachael T. on 4/12/03 at 17:37 (116006)

Hello - I write regarding my 'footmax' information thus far. I rec'd. them only on Tues....wearing them Wed. for first day break in time....& then, have added time - that I am wearing them more than I prob. should, BUT they are more comfy than anything that I've had to date. I feel like the heel may need to be a bit deeper....but maybe it is just this way till I get used to them as my tempo orth. made also by the Phys. Therapist were deep plastic cups. Anyway, yes, this 'color coded map' - topography is what appeared on the pc screen while my foot was placed on the glass screen for 'photo' shoot. I am a little nervous to say & a little guilt-ridden.....that I actually rode 2 horses today....of course, I didn't go full speed ahead & yet, it felt 'good.' I shall see though if I tomorrow 'pay for today's fun.' Anyway, between the 10 mg. elavil + my anti-inflamm. & now the new orth....I feel much improved.....but let's just hope that Happy Feet last for me!!!! I see the fam. phys. on Tues. who gave me the elavil - and he said he'd up it if needed after 4 weeks......so between now & Tues., we shall see if this 'test' allows me to continue on just 10 mg or a little more......! Anyway, at this point, I am more optimistic on the Footmax topography orthotics than anything I've had thus far.