Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about ART

Posted by HilaryG on 4/06/03 at 08:51 (115526)

I have had two ART treatments so far. I don't know yet if they've helped or not. I'm still sore from the treatment itself. The chiro recommended 4 or 5 treatments in total. I'd like to know how many treatments other people had and were they helpful?

Re: Question about ART

Patty S on 4/08/03 at 01:13 (115629)

Hilary,
I don't think I have been on this board for at least a year. If you do a search you might find some I posted when I had ART (probably 2 yrs ago) I did ART and the chiro who did it for me said I would know after the first session if it would work for me-thank god it did. I think I had about 6-8 sessions total. Since then I have lost 30 pounds which also helped. I never felt lingering pain after the treatment, but the first few really did hurt. What has the chiro said about it? Patty

HilaryG on 4/08/03 at 05:56 (115634)

Patty- Thanks for your response. Were you ever black and blue after a treatment? I was left with black and blue marks on top of both feet.

HilaryG on 4/08/03 at 06:26 (115636)

When I started ART I was having pains in my heels and arches and generalized foot pain after standing or walking. Now, after 2 sessions, the heel and arch pain are mostly gone, but I'm still having terrible pain after standing or walking for just a short time. Is the ART helping? Any opinions? Lara? Anyone?

Bev on 4/08/03 at 09:33 (115648)

What is the ART treatments??

HilaryG on 4/08/03 at 09:37 (115649)

Bev, Art is a form of deep massage that is administered by a chiropractor.

Bev on 4/08/03 at 10:01 (115650)

Is ART done for PF and TTS and for what purpose? Do massage therapists do it also?

HilaryG on 4/08/03 at 10:29 (115651)

No massage therapists don't do it and chiropractors probably don't consider it massage. I just didn't know how else to describe it. I'm getting ART for PF. I'm not sure about TTS, but I think it probably could be done for that. You can find out more about ART, indluding a doctor-locator at http://www.activerelease.com

Bev on 4/08/03 at 10:39 (115657)

Thanks Hilary, The site is interesting, though does sound painful :-s ,does it help the problems of PF for us PF'ers ?

JudyS on 4/08/03 at 13:41 (115684)

Patty - good to see you here! Congratulations on your foot-relief and your weight loss. Hope all is well for you.

monte on 4/08/03 at 13:46 (115686)

Judy

Can I write to you off line? I always try to ask questions of those who have gotten better. Do you mind?

Thanks
Monte

P.S. I had A.R.T. and it hurt for the firt few minutes, but felt good in the middle and towards the end of each session after my feet and calves got used to it. Not sure if it had any helping factors in the end.

JudyS on 4/08/03 at 13:47 (115687)

Hilary - I credit ART treatments as one of about three things I did to get my feet well. I had it done by a physical therapist. It always hurt, a lot, when he did it but, because I could practically feel scar tissue loosening up, I welcomed the pain. I went three times a week for several months. There was definately progress for me. However, I really did have a seriously chronic case and going on for the ESWT was a good decision.

JudyS on 4/08/03 at 13:50 (115688)

It would be my honor, Monte....

judith.schmidt @ gcccd.net

monte on 4/08/03 at 15:14 (115701)

thanks judy...i sent you an email

monte

HilaryG on 4/09/03 at 07:51 (115747)

Nobody mentioned the black and blue marks I was left with for a week and a half after my last ART treatment. Has anyone else had this?

john h on 4/09/03 at 10:22 (115753)

ART can sometimes produce undesired results. I had one very vigorous treatment several years ago and my feet which were not to bad at the time but went really south after treatment. It took me almost three months to recover. Also, if you have or think you have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome then ART could be very dangerous as advised to me by an orthopedic surgeon. A pinched or trapped nerve could respond very poorly and it would be possible to do some serious damage with ART. You should clearly make sure you do not have TTS before proceeding with this procedure. I do recognize that people have been helped with ART but by no means all.