Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Regressions during post ESWT recovery period.

Posted by Rosemary on 4/06/03 at 15:57 (115540)

Quewtion for the doctors and those who have had the treatment. My last two weeks post ESWT have shown improvement. Except for exercise and lengthy walks, I have been able to resume almost all of my daily activities with little or no discomfort. I don't feel I have overdone it in any way, which is why the last two days have taken me by surprise. I am once again feeling discomfort, back to the couch and heelspurs.com all day. I assume, and hope, that this is expected during the recovery period. Two steps forward, one back (although this feels like three back). Is this normal? Does it mean the treatment is still working? Is the pain a re-injury or just inflammation which encourages the healing process to continue? Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Regressions during post ESWT recovery period.

Dr. Z on 4/06/03 at 16:20 (115541)

Pain can come and go before going away. So give it some time, stop the lenghty walks and excercise for now. Too much activity can cause pain

john h on 4/07/03 at 08:39 (115568)

How right you are Dr. Z about pain coming and going. I have had occasions where pair came on for no reason I could think of. I am still doing rather well. About 5 weeks and counting.

Molly on 4/07/03 at 10:16 (115573)

Rosemary: I'm going on 9 1/2 weeks post-ESWT And I have experienced the exact same things. I'll be great one day, then for no reason I'll have a day of pain. 'One step forward, two steps back' so to speak, yes. From the beginning I've been back and forth. But I'm doing well today and I'm still improving. Good luck!

Paula A on 4/12/03 at 20:27 (116014)

ROSEMARY,
I HOPE YOUR NOT GOING DOUWN THE SAME PATH THAT I JUST DID. I HAD ESWT
TREATMENT FOR BILATERAL PLANTAR FACIITIS. FOR 10 DAYS BOTH OF MY FEET
WERE 100% CURED. IT WAS THE BEST 10 DAYS IN SUCH A LONG TIME BUT THEN I NOTICED MY RIGHT FOOT STARTED TO HAVE RETURN OF SYMPTOMS. I SPOKE WITH MY
DR. AND THE OSSATRON REP. THEY BOTH REASSURED ME THAT THIS WOULD BE TRANSIENT SYMPTOMS FOR UP TO 12 WEEKS TO REFRAIN FROM NSAIDS AND JUST CONTINUE WITH THE ICE TREATMENTS AND STRETCHES. WHICH I HAD ALREADY BEEN DOING. WELL 16 WEEKS OUT NOW AND MY RIGHT FOOT IS BACK TO WHERE I STARTED
AND WORSE. I JUST HAD A CORTISONE INJECTION AGAIN. BESIDES THE DISSAPOINTMENT OF A FAILED ESWT DEALING WITH OSSATRON/HEALTHTRONICS HAS BEEN A FINANCIAL NIGHTMARE EVENTHOUGH THIS WAS A 100% COVERED BY MY HMO. I MUST SAY MY LEFT FOOT IS FINE BUT IT WAS NOT AS FAR INTO THE DISEASE PROCESS AS MY RIGHT FOOT.

Bev on 4/13/03 at 10:39 (116038)

WOW, this is ssooooooooooo discouraging for us who are thinking of having this done in the future :(( What are we to do :-/

john h on 4/13/03 at 10:55 (116041)

Bev: I doubt there are many straight line progressions from pain to healing after ESWT. PF seems to be a series of ups and downs whether you have ESWT or not. That has certainly been my experience. After my 1st and 2nd ESWT I would become very upset when I went backwards but now just recognize it as part of PF. I still think ESWT is most certainly a better alternative than surgery.

Bev on 4/13/03 at 11:44 (116049)

Thanks John, I need a pat on the back and a kind word to get me through each and every day >:D<