Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

returning to work post ESWT

Posted by tammy s on 4/07/03 at 10:02 (115572)

I'm scheduled for ESWT later this month, and scheduled to work three 12 hour shifts 3 days after the procedure. I have no options about the timing of the procedure ( the machine is only in town once a month). Is this to soon to return to work with these long hours? Most of my days are on my feet. I need to plan for sick time and need the advice of those that have had this done. I may have the option to put this off for a couple months untill the timing is better( more time off after) Help! from anyone??? I want to do this right so It's only done once. How many days should I stay home before returning to work? Thanks :<)
Tammy

Re: returning to work post ESWT

Rosemary on 4/07/03 at 18:52 (115612)

I can only speak for myself, but I can tell you absolutely I would not have been able to return to that kind of a schedule, particularly if it involved being on my feet. I do have the problem in both feet, so maybe I am a more difficult case. If you can at all arrange to take some days off please try. This procedure is so expensive I think it is best to give it your best shot. The foot still needs time to heal, and in fact that takes place over months. Putting that much stress so soon after might decrease the chances of getting the optimum results. As far as how long to take off? I think to be on the safe side give yourself at least a week. The way I look at it, if I did surgery I would be off my feet for much longer than that.

Re: returning to work post ESWT

tammy s on 4/07/03 at 23:09 (115627)

Rosemary
Thanks so much for your opinion! I have been waiting SO long for some relief that I think I might rush into getting this done even if the timing with my schedule isn't perfect. I have so few sick days built up that the best I can get off is 7 days at this time. I will probably rethink having this done this month and look for a month where I will have more time off.
Thanks again. Tammy