Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Happy Feet/ Here to Stay??

Posted by Bev on 4/07/03 at 10:29 (115574)

After having extremly painfull feet over a year, I had a weekend with relatively ease and painfree. I am really confused if this is normal or have I just had a fluke and my pain with the PF return full-force? It was not a gradual thing, up to Sunday, I was in a lot of pain daily, then all of a sudden almost no pain all weekend and today is great too.I am so happy I want to dance and proclaim a miracle. Is this the way PF acts , and am I in for a relapse, or what? I would be happy to hear of other stories if you can help me understand this happy occasion. Thankyou, Bev

Re: Happy Feet/ Here to Stay??

Carole C in NOLA on 4/07/03 at 11:21 (115577)

For me, the lessening of pain was pretty gradual and seemed to reflect what I had been doing for a few days beforehand. For example, if I had been resting my feet and doing all the right things, my feet would feel lots better. But then, if I 'led a normal life', they would start feeling worse again within a few days.

Can I make a suggestion? Right now, while it is fresh in your mind, think of what you were doing during the time just prior to when you felt pain free, and also while you were feeling pain free. Think of what shoes you were wearing, and what treatments you were doing and not doing. I hope that you remain pain free forever, but if not then maybe this will give you a clue as to what helps your individual feet!

I'm SO glad to hear this! May you have pain free feet forever. :)

Carole C

Re: also

Carole C in NOLA on 4/07/03 at 11:26 (115578)

I meant to also say that if my feet felt lots better for a couple of weeks, then there seemed to be at least some permanent improvement. Otherwise, there didn't.

My feet had their ups and downs, but overall gradually improved when I learned how to prevent set-backs. After about four or five months with no set-backs, they were pain free for the long term.

On the other hand, we all have such individual feet! I truly hope that your pain free feet stay that way.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 4/07/03 at 12:14 (115580)

How wonderful, Bev! =D> Like Carole, my improvement has been mostly gradual, and yet there have been those times that for seemingly no reason they felt much better or much worse. Usually when I thought about it, the weather actually seemed to be the only difference I could come up with on most of those days. Of course there were times - like when we moved to the new school - that I KNEW I overdid it and didn't have to wonder. But for those mystery times, the weather is all I could think of. Cold and clammy or wet weather seems to make my feet feel worse for some reason.

I hope it is the beginning of a trend, Bev! I know you're happy and also watchful not to overdo it while you are feeling so much better.

I hope this continues!
Suzanne :)

Re: Oh Lord, let it be so!

Mahatmelissama on 4/07/03 at 12:26 (115583)

Let your pain stay away! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU, BEV! YEAH!!! :D

Ellen J. on 4/07/03 at 12:49 (115585)

Good to hear the great news! Here's hoping your feet continue to get better and better now. I know you feel like jumping up and dancing, but now is the time to keep doing the right things for your feet so they will continue to heal up. Believe me, I know the feeling because when my feet started feeling much better, the natural reaction was to go out and run or do something fun. I keep myself in check by remembering how exciting it is to just be able to walk around and do things again.
Keep taking good care of yourself, and thanks for telling us the good news!
Ellen J.

john h on 4/07/03 at 13:01 (115586)

Ellen: I am almost into 4 weeks of happy feet. Longest happy feet period in 8 years. Just might be that ESWT treatment in late December (Epos). I am not ready to try and run or make some great declaration but will take it one day at a time.

Bev on 4/07/03 at 14:26 (115592)

I know what you mean ,John, I will take one day at a time and take it easy, and hope the pain level continues to go down. I think maybe the therapy and all the rest is helping. Test tonight as I am going to a church function and will be doing a little bit of walking, so I will see how I feel tomorrow . Painfree days to you all :0) :)

JudyS on 4/07/03 at 15:05 (115594)

Hi Bev - I think your experience is not uncommon. I rememer several of us sharing the same (frustrating) experience over time. My own PF never just suddenly went away and never came back. Like Carole, mine came and went with varying degree over time. Sometimes I'd have a really active day and expect soreness the following day but it didn't happen. And sometimes just the opposite! I finally decided that the best I could do was be devoted to my daily foot regimen (stretching, exercising, shoes, etc). As you know, after about four years I feel that I'm about 90% foot-perfect with arch soreness when I have a long day in too-soft shoes or too much movement.

Rosemary on 4/07/03 at 19:10 (115616)

The posts on this thread were uplifting. Like others, I have to stop myself from expecting to wake up one day and be cured. Hearing others go through the ups and downs, especially those who said good days were followed by bad days with no apparent reason was consoling. I have had two improved weeks, followed by the last three days which have been a setback. The only thing I can account for this is the weather. It has gotten cold and wet again. Maybe there is a connection.

Bev on 4/08/03 at 10:42 (115659)

I am sore today, will take it real easy as I have a school function for our grandson to go to tonight, so I am playing lazy lady today :)

JudyS on 4/08/03 at 13:34 (115681)

You're probably right on, Rosemary, regarding the weather. And good for you for two solid weeks of improvement! I still remember vividly when two solid hours warrented a major holiday for me! Hang in there.

Bev on 4/08/03 at 14:06 (115691)

I know that is why I was ssooooo excited about a day and a-half, of almost no pain, I was so ecstatic I wanted to dance. Glad I did not dance though, cause now I hurt again. I am sssooooo depressed over all of this :((

JudyS on 4/08/03 at 15:07 (115699)

Poor Bev - I wish you didn't have to feel sad but I sure know exactly how it is. Here's a thought - those two days of almost no pain may be a sure indicator that your healing is beginning. I hope you can faithfully keep up your stretches, etc because you may just find another two days in only a week or so. Or maybe it'll just be a couple of hours tomorrow or an entire three days next month. Hang in there.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/08/03 at 18:25 (115712)

Bev, I'm so sorry that your happy feet did not stay happy! But as Judy said, at least this probably means that your feet are healing, and that you are on the right track. Some day, some day. Keep doing the things that help and never give up.

Carole C

Bev on 4/08/03 at 20:02 (115720)

Thankyooooou for the pep talk Judy, it really helps to know you all are out there to talk to :) :)

Ellen J. on 4/09/03 at 14:35 (115779)

That is great news! It sounds like your feet are feeling totally normal? I hope so and hopefully it means you will be in for a summer of fun. My spring project is attempting to strengthen my feet without injuring them. I'm even experimenting with going barefoot for short periods, which is a big 'no-no' according to the docs but I like to experiment anyway (carefully, that is). It is a bad idea for most people, so am not suggesting it for others.
Keep up the good work on your feet,
Ellen

Ellen J on 4/11/03 at 19:10 (115974)

Bev,
If you have had a good day at one time then I'm sure you will have more good days ahead. I think all of us have been through the feeling good/feeling bad phases and we can relate. I know you will feel better again, and the trick is to try and figure out what made them feel better and what made them feel worse.
May I ask where you got that adorable crying face that you put in your note? I'm pretty computer-illiterate other than email and surfing the web so I have no idea how you did that. It is CUTE!!
Ellen J.