Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I want more cortisone! Is this is abig risk?

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 4/07/03 at 12:22 (115582)

My left foot is doing much much much better! I feel like dancing. My left leg is not so stiff...I actually have more mobility in my toes on my left foot (still have trouble for some reason moving my big toe on left foot). The pod shot the nerve btwn 3rd and 4th toes for mortens neuorma. Once soreness wore off, foot is feeling so much better. I wonder if the toes moving better is all in my head.

I now want another shot but this time in my right foot. I can move the toes more now my left foot than my right (my worse foot!) I still though can move big toe better on right foot than left.

I have read about cortisone on the internet and see there are risks but pod said he uses a mixture (it is not pure) plus he shot inflammed area, I don't mind if tissure on evil nerve breaks down.

How much cortisone is too much? Doesn't it make a difference in shooting it say in an inflammed nerve versus healthy tissue?

Re: I want more cortisone! Is this is abig risk?

dave r on 4/07/03 at 15:11 (115598)

My father had 7 cortizone shotes for a nueroma in the period of 7 working days. I would say that is pretty extreme. I had one shot for pf and it ruptured my fascia 6 years ago. My foot has never been the same since...I am glad that you feel better! i hope that it lasts for you...

Mahatmelissama on 4/07/03 at 15:51 (115600)

Dave R, I am so sorry that your shot made things worse. :(
I think I will allow shots into my nerve (toe area) but think
twice about any to the PF heel and the inner ankle (where most
of my pain is).

We'll see how long the relief for my toes lasts. It may all disappear tomorrow or maybe I will be one of the lucky ones (only 5% of all patients don't need more than cortisone shots according to one site I was on about Mortens neuroma).

Kathy G on 4/07/03 at 17:33 (115606)

When I had what was considered an 'atypical Morton's Neuroma' which means my pain wasn't in the right place for a neuroma and I had assorted other pains that made my Pod think I has mild (at first) PF, he gave me no more than one shot every 4-5 months. It seems the cortisone weakens the tissue. You can take cortisone orally (like in a Medrol Doespack) but it can have some really nast side effects.

The doctors, naturally, will hae a better answer to your question than I. I am speaking only from personal experience. By the way, my Neuroma or whatever it is hardly ever hurts anymore, as long as I wear my orthotics!

Good Luck!

Terry Z on 4/08/03 at 07:28 (115641)

I remember a past post of yours on searching for Morton's Neuroma on this site. I also I'm having this problem and I did a search on just neuroma or it may of been neuromas, anyways I got a lot of information. I've had cortisone shots in my foot and ankle for a different problem but I know that doctors have to be careful not to overdo them for the reason Kathy stated. My surgeon is in no hurry to give me any shot being that I'm still recovering from TT surgery.

Kathy G. could you share with me what type of othotics you are wearing. I'm going in later this week and my script is for semi-rigid with cork arch to relieve 2-3 and 3-4 morton's neuromas. I'm not having trouble with neuromas on my other foot but are these fitted for both feet? That may sound strange but the script is for the right foot. This will be the first orthotics for me so any info will be appreciated.

Re: For Terry

Kathy G on 4/08/03 at 11:22 (115671)

Hi Terry,

I'm wearing Footmaxx orthotics. For these orthotics, one walks across a pad which is hooked up to a computer that measures the amount of pressure you put on your feet in the different areas. For some reason, my computer won't let me put in a link but the website is http://www.Footmaxx.com . To get this type of orthotic, one has to go to a doctor who has the system.

I'm sure there are other ways that you can get an orthotic that will work just as well. In my case, my orthotics are kind of a cross between what they would give people with Diabetes and what they'd use for people with arthrtis as I cannot tolerate anything that is too rigid or has too high an arch. Before this I was wearing Theraform Selectives by Benefoot, Inc. They were 3/4 innersoles and seemed to help the neuroma until I started to develop symptoms of PF. Interestingly, when I had the neuroma, my Pod had me wear the innersoles in both shoes. I'm wondering if it will throw off your gait to have an orthotic in one shoe but not the other?

I don't know and I'm sure they'll know where you go to get the orthotics but I'd ask them about it. Good luck!

Re: DR. K left me a msg..."one foot at a time"

Mahatmelissama on 4/08/03 at 16:55 (115704)

He said it 'made his day to hear I am doing great...and we will work on it to make sure that continues. About cortisone for my other foot, he wants to finish this foot and then move on to the other.'

Hmmmm. Oh well. I guess I am a cortisone addict. ;)

Re: Kathy G

Terry Z on 4/08/03 at 18:05 (115708)

Thanks for your comments, I have the same thought about only one orthotics. I will discuss with the C Ped when I go on Friday.