Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flattened arch after PF rupture

Posted by Debra H. on 4/07/03 at 14:19 (115591)

I ruptured my PF about 4 months ago. The heel pain has gotten better, but now I have pain in other parts of my foot (lateral band, mid-arch, midfoot and metatarsal area). I use to have a high arch, but since the PF rupture, had noticed that my foot with the PF rupture seemed flatter when I walked. Eventually, I took my own foot prints and the midfoot width of the non-ruptured foot was only 1 1/2 inches whereas it was 3 inches on the PF ruptured foot. Pain is worse with weight bearing activity. There is no swelling (except a little in the arch) and it is not particularly tender to touch. But, it is painful to walk (causing limping).

My pod has recently tried cortisone injections in three different areas. One area (metatarsals) seems to be helping. My theory is that I have tendonitis in several tendons due to the change in biomechanics resulting from the abrupt change in my arch. My pod doesn't seem to think the abrupt arch change is such a big deal and hopes my foot will settle down with time. I hope he is right.

Do you have any experience treating patients with these sort of problems and what are the outcomes? Am I doing the right things in terms of treatment? My pod is suggesting to cast it again. I do think this would help it feel better while it is casted, but what will keep the 'tendonitis' from returning once the cast is removed since the biomechanics won't be corrected?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.