Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel syndrome

Posted by Tammy S on 4/07/03 at 21:49 (115625)

I have had two surgeries in 3 years for heel spurs, once for plantar facalitis and then to remove the heel spur, I got worse over the years and have been to 6 different doctors who could not find what was wrong, but then I went to a doctor in Baltimore md who says it is Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and I go for surgery this month. I was told I would be on crutches for 2 weeks, also I told the doctor that I would be going on vacation 3 weeks after surgery and if walking would be a problem and he said as long as I wear a walking boot I would be fine, I never got the chance to ask him what this boot is called and where I can get one. If anyone on here has had to buy one, can you help me out where to find one

Re: tarsal tunnel syndrome

Dr. Z on 4/08/03 at 02:14 (115630)

I have a few questions . What kind of vacation are you going on. Alot of walking? Could you have gone on the same type of vacation that you went on after your first two surgeries. The type of cast is probaby a boot cast. He will provide the cast for you.

Sherrie on 4/08/03 at 10:31 (115653)

Tammie, what doctor in Baltimore did you see?

Cindy N. on 4/08/03 at 19:23 (115719)

I have been diagnosed with TTS for 3 months now...I started therapy for PF in June of 02...seemed to help for a minute!! I have had a MRI...my POD said it showed varicose veins wrapped around the nerve causing the pain...we have done everything conservatively possible...will be having surgery at the end of the month for the TTS... I asked my POD if she would also do the PF surgery at the same time...said, 'no', would wait to see if the pain subsided with the TTS surgery...my question is the recovery time?...my POD says, 2 weeks off the foot, and then crutches to a boot. Can weight be put on the boot?? as in a walking cast?? I am just trying to figure out how long I will be out of commision... Any ideas out there? Thanks for any input.

Sharon W on 4/08/03 at 21:04 (115727)

Yes, chances are it will be a walking boot, but your doctor will probably have you GRADUALLY increase how much you put your weight on your surgery foot.

It depends on what you mean by 'out of commission,' and it depends on how extensive your surgery will be and how much damage the nerve has already suffered from due to the TTS -- But most people seem to be able to go back to work within a month IF they don't have to work on their feet...

However, COMPLETE recovery from this surgery takes a lot longer, usually at least 3-6 months... sometimes even longer.

Best of luck to you, and best of surgeons' skill; and a speedy and uncomplicated recovery afterward. :)

Re: Tammy

Terry on 4/09/03 at 09:28 (115751)

Just curious what was your Dr's name in Baltimore as I have an appointment with Dr. A. Lee Dellon in two weeks. I've been told he is top notch with this surgery.

Re: oops dont think u mean me^

Tammie on 4/09/03 at 12:49 (115767)

As I had also noticed there is also another Tammie to.

Tammy S on 4/09/03 at 18:50 (115792)

The race at Charlotte

Tammy S on 4/09/03 at 18:53 (115793)

Dr Mark Myerson

Tammy S on 4/09/03 at 18:53 (115794)

Yours is spelled different. Pretty bad there are two Tammies with bad feet

BrianG on 4/09/03 at 22:20 (115810)

Hi Tammy,

I've been to many big stock car races and they absolutely wreck my heels. In fact, I really doubt that I'll ever be able to go to Daytona again, just too much walking!

If you have a handicap plate, that might get you close to the track, but you will still have quite a walk. When you get inside, there will be thousands of people shoulder to shoulder. Can you walk through that mass of humanity? And lastly, where are your tickets? If they are any higher than about the 10th row, I'd say you are in for a major hassle, just getting to your seat. Oh, and how could I forget, no one sits down if it's an exciting race. If you've ever been to a Cup race, then you know what I'm talking about. You could sit, but you won't see anything!!

I hope it works out for you, but be prepared and don't ruin what already has already done!

Good luck

Sherrie on 4/10/03 at 10:19 (115843)

Tammy- Dr. Myerson is very well known in the Baltimore area for foot and ankle surgery, I've seen him on t.v. a few times. Good Luck! I think your in good hands.By the way, do you know if his method of surgery differs from Dr.Dellons? I know that orthopaedic docs call the surgery a release and I guess that means releasing the tendon and what ever else is entraping the nerve, but I don't quite know where they actually do it? I would think it would be right where you tap on the ankle and feel the electric shocks from the nerve entrapment. Did the doctor explain how he is going to do the surgery?

lauriel on 4/10/03 at 19:02 (115903)

Cindy, I had TTS surgery, I was non-weight bearing for 4 weeks which is pretty normal. I just had my foot wrapped. I was slowly able to weight bear after that which was about two weeks, Then after that I still needed one crutch off and on. It has been 4 months and I am just starting to walk take a walk, I just started last weeek and have been able to do about a 20 minute walk almost every day. Yea, so it is slow going and can tke months to heal completely
good luck

sharon f on 4/11/03 at 14:41 (115963)

There was no way I could have taken a vacation after two weeks with my surgery. I believe your doctor is underestimating the recovery time.