Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is plantar fascia nonelastic?

Posted by JenL on 4/08/03 at 11:13 (115670)

I always thought the plantar fascia is elastic and flexible until today when I found this 'The plantar fascia is a tight, NONELASTIC ligament that stretches from the bottom of the heel bone out toward the ball of the foot'. It is from a docotor's website. PF occurring more to people over certain age isn't partly because the ligament becomes less elastic and less flexible with aging? In the heelpain book for example, 'the plantar fascia encapsulates muscles in the sole of the foot. It supports the arch of the foot by acting as a bowstring that connects the ball of the foot to the heel.'
What do you think doctors? Thanks in advance.
Jen

Re: Is plantar fascia nonelastic?

dave r on 4/08/03 at 12:08 (115677)

Hi Jen, I would bet that most doctors would agree that the plantar fascia really doesnt stretch. It moves like a bowstring but it doesnt really stretch. If the achilles is tight or short this pulls the heel back putting extra strain on the fascia at its weekest point were it inserts into the heel.I think that is why it is so prone to injury.

Re: Is plantar fascia nonelastic?

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/08/03 at 18:21 (115711)

Jen,

Dave R is correct. The plantar fascia is not elastic and stretching exercises are used to stretch other soft tissue structures such as the Achilles tendon and other muscles. There really is no way to actually stretch the plantar fascia.