Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm New and Need Help

Posted by TJ on 4/08/03 at 19:12 (115718)

I just stumbled across this fabulous message board and hoping someone can give me some type of direction. I have had problems with PF since I got pregnant with my son 6 1/2 years ago. I have done everything, stretching, PT,night splint,and those really great injections - which hurt more than giving birth - in my opinion. The shots help for 1 day and then it's back to pain. I, for some reason, quit having problems approx 2 years ago, I had quit treatment because nothing was helping. Then all of a sudden December of 2002 all h*ll broke loose. I have done the stretching, the shots again - nothing is working. I am having to go to my chiropractor 2 times a week cause I keep throwing my hip out due to favoring my right foot. I hate all of this and am becoming an emotional mess. My son has to put up with Mommy having foot problems all the time and my husband is understanding, but if you can't see a problem, kinda makes it unbelievable. My husband fully believes me, but I feel people staring at me like I'm nuts. I'm a young 39 and enjoy camping, dancing, generally having fun and I haven't been able to do any of these things. I am so tired of saying my foot hurts, I could scream. As an added bonus over the last 2 months, when I'm sitting, I get nice little shooting pains in my heel. I would love to try the Shock therapy, but my insurance doesn't cover it. Right now I feel surgery is my only option, because I want my life back. I know this is all over the place, and what a way to introduce yourself to a group, but I need some advice. My pod is very conservative, I asked why he hadn't suggested the shock therapy and he said nothing is 100% and my insurance doesn't cover it. I haven't even mentioned surgery, just need help. Thanks for reading my rant and any information would be welcomed. TJ Hancock

Re: I'm New and Need Help

Sharon W on 4/08/03 at 20:54 (115726)

TJ,

I'm sure that I will not be the only one to tell you, I've been there and I understand. We've all felt that isolation and that sense that other people are staring at us like we're nuts. Someone said recently that this is an invisible pain, something that other people around us can neither relate to nor understand.

You are lucky, at least, that your husband believes you and supports you and tries to understand! My husband is like that, too, and I am reminded every day of how very special he is. Yours can help you to get through this -- he may not have experienced foot pain, but he cares about you (and doesn't roll his eyes when he thinks you're not looking); that's what really counts.

Are you taking any anti-inflammatory meds? Do you ice your feet? Have you ever tried taping? If not, there ARE other things you can do, and you can learn about these things and more, by clicking on this link: the Heel Pain Book.

There are some wonderful doctors here on these message boards; if you have questions, please feel free to post them on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' message board. Many of us have gotten our questions answered by a real expert, that way... These podiatrists (and sometimes other docs) don't get PAID to help us, they're just really terrific people who CARE enough about people with foot pain to do what they can to help.

Sharon

Dr. Z on 4/08/03 at 21:14 (115731)

hI
IF you truely have insertional plantar fasciitis then ESWT is your treatment choice regardless of whether insurance will cover this procedure. Surgery is an option but the risks and benefits don't favor this over ESWT. I wish your insurance would cover ESWT but not all insurance plan are equal f you would like additional information on ESWT i would be glad to send you our ESWT packet. Just e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed). Feel free to ask any questions

BrianG on 4/08/03 at 22:00 (115737)

Hi TJ,

I'm sorry to hear that you have joined our informal PF group. Have you tried ice, and taping? I don't think you mentioned those two items. I know you said that you feel surgery is your only option, but even your doctor has told you that nothing is guaranteed 100%. You can believe him, big time!

If you go back into this forum, you'll find many people who have come out of surgery much worse than before they went in. Not only do they stil have PF, some of the surgical problems include, RSD, TTS and Neuropathy. Yes, it is possible to be much WORSE after surgery, although right now it would seem hard to believe.

If you do decide to have surgery, please don't let $ be the determining factor. You will have to research doctors, and read everything you can about the procedures available. Lastly, don't forget to have your doctor explain to you what can go wrong. If he says there will be no problems, get it in writing, as you may need it for the lawyers. If you feel you can't take the pain any longer, do yourself a favor and check out pain management clinics, or doctors. They can buy you some time.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: Ranting is allowed, to a point :*)

TJ on 4/08/03 at 22:30 (115738)

Thanks to everyone who responded. Very Much Appreciated =D> (I hope that worked) Yes I have tried taping - did that in the very beginning. Ice - yep
Anti-inflam. - yepper! None seemed to work. Right now tonight, I started all over - just finished icing and will do stretches before bed. I really would love to hear that the surgery would work and all would be fine [-o< Just the last couple of days have been really hard - (spring break) and I have felt at my wits end. I will continue to research and seek more answers. Surgery is my very last option, just feeling desperate. Thanks again to all!
TJ :*

c on 4/09/03 at 08:05 (115748)

Hi! I feel your pain and know how frustrating suffering this pain can be. Short hx on me p Feb '00 dx with PF all conservatinve tx tried, Jun '00 transferred to surgeon for surgery all conservative tx tried again! Sep '00 surgeon suspects TTS, have EMG which was positive, Surgery Nov '00 and after soem intenstive physical therapy Jan - Feb '01 still pain free today!

Yep! I am one that has had successful PF/TTS surgery. THere are very few of us. From reading this board there are many, many more that have had no success and many who are worse off than before.

you will find everyone on this board very supportive and informational. Good Luck to you!

Pam S. on 4/09/03 at 21:11 (115804)

Dear TJ:
I really do not have much to add that all of these other folks have said. I just want to offer my support because we all literally 'feel' your pain. This is just the best support group. I have learned a few tips here and there that have helped me. Have you tried the bucket of ice the warm water therapy? Have you gotten a second opinion? I am in pain as I type this but I tell myself (almost every hour) how blessed I am and all those things I know you think too. I know you are frustrated but there really is hope. Just the other day a woman wrote in that all of a sudden she is pain free. Also, pray about it. You never know.
Just keep up all you are doing. It is hard when you are so young and I know you want to be active. I am just turning 50 and I miss my tennis and wearing fashionable shoes. There really are worse things that can happen...right. Well, I am going on and on too. I just want you to know you have a supportive, well informed group of total strangers here!! Just for the record - I have stopped talking to my friends about this since I have found this post. I think that is wise. It is pretty boring if you do not suffer from this. Can any of us believe we spend all this time thinking about our feet!!!HAAAAAA