Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dislocated cuboid after heel spur surgery

Posted by Jeanne on 4/10/03 at 13:16 (115862)

I had heel spur surgery. Immediately afterwards, the top of my foot hurt. My Pod. took 3 x-rays....nothing wrong he said. This went on for 9 months. Finally when I'd had enough, he pulled an x-ray from 8 months earlier and said 'oh, theres the problem, the cuboid is dislocated'. Now by this time, the bone had been be-bopping around for so long that when I went to a DIFFERENT Dr., it would not stay put. I ended up having the cuboid fused and then 3 more surgeries, one to fix the broken pin, one to add a staple...... Anyway, last July I had a subtalor joint fusion. Once again, the pain is worse. Both sides in the back of my foot, behind the ankle bone hurts alot when I walk, but mostly when I get up from sitting. There is alot of swelling. I went to a pain management Dr. who said 'cuboids do NOT dislocate', he thought I was crazy. Shows what he knows. Any ideas what may be causing my pain now would be helpful. My pod. says it may be the screwhead hitting the talus.......and when the screw comes out, the pain will be gone. My question, how can something at the top of my foot, cause so much pain around the ankle? Thanks for any help.

Re: Dislocated cuboid after heel spur surgery

Dr. Z on 4/10/03 at 15:29 (115884)

I would either have a CT scan of the area. or a Fluroscopic examination with the foot in motion

Re: Dislocated cuboid after heel spur surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/13/03 at 02:14 (116028)

Sorry to hear about your experiences. The plantar fascia basically acts as a butress for the midtarsal joint which is composed of the calcaneo-cuboid joint and talo-navicular joint. Take some time to preuse this site including Scott's Heel Pain Book. We try our best to avoid plantar fascial release surgery. When we do that procedure, we are on the lookout for a number of potential complications such as yours and generally attempt early intervention.