Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Standing foot pain

Posted by Heather D on 4/10/03 at 19:22 (115908)

Please help. I have just started clinicals to be a surgical tech. I can barely tolerate standing still on my feet. 32 yrs old, had trouble w/ feet since 20, but never stood for an consistant period of time - it hurts my heel and ball of my foot, badly. I am 5'2' and 110 lbs, not over weight, have very very high arches. My feet feel hot and 'bruised' when I stand on them or an pressure, but when off of them, they are not real severe. I really have a passion for surgical technology - please suggest a diagnosis or better yet a cure.
Thank you,

Re: Standing foot pain

Kathy G on 4/10/03 at 19:26 (115910)

Heather, I'm not a doctor but my advice would be to see one, and get a diagnosis. Maybe orthtotics would help you. Age and weight don't always contribute to foot pain. Go to a good Podiatrist or a Certified Pedorthist and see if they can help you out.

Good luck! What a great field to be persuing!

Re: Standing foot pain

BrianJ on 4/11/03 at 12:31 (115946)

Heather --

For many of us with PF, prolonged standing is the most painful thing. Here's my advice:

1. Go to a doctor (or doctors) and make sure the problem is PF rather than something systemic such as arthritis, spondylitis, etc.

2. Stay off your feet when you can (use a chair or stool)

3. Learn how to tape your feet for added support

4. Use arch supports

5. ice your feet at the end of the day

This advice will not cure you, but it should help. Good luck.

Re: Standing foot pain

Richard, C.Ped on 4/11/03 at 13:43 (115952)

Hi Heather,
I would also suggest talking to a doctor such as a good DPM or Orthopedic doc and get a proper diagnosis of what is causing the pain. Also, you will be able to get a script for orthtotics and have a better chance of running it through insurance then.

As for orthotics, I see sooooo many docs and nurses, including surgical staff for foot problems. If you do not have anything 'serious' going on with your feet and ankles, a straight forward semi-rigid orthosis may help tons.

Do you have any knee pain as well?