Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascitis

Posted by Elizabeth C. on 4/11/03 at 07:52 (115925)

This is the first time I have been on this web site. More than a year ago I was officially diagnosed with plantar Fascitis. Five years ago I went to an Orthopedic doctor who told me I had heal spurs (both feet) and gave me silicone heal inserts and sent me on my way. In the last year, I have have had orthotics made, three cortizone shots in each foot, ruptued my left fascia, and my right is on its way. I don't know if I completely ruptured the left, but it was worse pain than having my twins. I could not even put my foot down. All the podiatrist did was give me a walking cast and followed up after six weeks. Believe it or not my left foot feels so much better; I have minimal pain in my left foot since then. Now my right is right foot is another story. I am not sure what to do with it. I have talked to my doctor about ESWT, but my insurance doesn't cover it and it's really expensive. I have considered surgery, but I have heard negative things about it. I can't stand the pain anymore and I want my life back. Should I wait and hope ESWT will be covered eventually or should I go for the surgery. I can't receive anymore cortizone shots, which take the 'bite' out of the pain. Have you heard of Z-Coil Shoes(Zcoil.com)? I have heard wonderful things about them. I am thinking about buying a pair of them before I make any major decision. I am very athletic and have a very high pain tolerance, but this is bad. I have four children and I can't run after them. Does anyone have any advise?

I appreciate your time,

Elizabeth

Re: Plantar Fascitis

Tom C on 4/11/03 at 11:38 (115938)

Elizabeth, I am in a similal situation and can empathize with you fully.

You are not alone. Perhaps one of these days the Ins Co's will wake up, we hope.

Take care.

TomC.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/11/03 at 13:40 (115949)

Hi Elizabeth...sorry to hear about your pain. Please read the PF book on this site. Very informative. As for the Z-Coil...I am not a fan of them..but that is the opinion of a simple C.Ped..haha.

After you read the PF book...please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have. That is why we are here.
Richard

Elizabeth C. on 4/13/03 at 22:41 (116071)

Dear Tom,

Thanks for the advise. I started to read the PF book...WOW it's kinda overwelming...but a great source! I am sure I will have lots of questions after thoroughly reading it. I do have one question...I was casted for orthotics and have been wearing them when I excersize and with most of my shoes. Should I also wear a heel cushion to take the impact off my heels?
The orthotics I have are a very hard material to support my arch, but do not provide a cushion to the heel.

Thanks for your advise,

Elizabeth