Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

healthtronics and healthsouth

Posted by scott r on 4/11/03 at 07:57 (115928)

From the New York Times today:

'Mr. McGahan had a particularly close relationship with Michael D. Martin, HealthSouth's chief financial officer from 1997 to 2000, who has agreed to plead guilty to fraud charges, say bankers who knew both men. Mr. McGahan's brother, Martin, is the chief financial officer for HealthTronics Surgical Services Inc., where Mr. Martin served on the board from April 2001 to January.'

Re: healthtronics and healthsouth

dave r on 4/11/03 at 11:28 (115937)

I have a pretty good story about this if anyone is interested.....

Dr. Z on 4/11/03 at 12:15 (115941)

I think I know the story. Cash isn't enough

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/12/03 at 00:48 (115984)

Scott:

The Ossatron can only be used at Healthsouth facilities in my area.
Ed

BrianG on 4/12/03 at 20:06 (116013)

Dave, I'm interested if you know for sure. I could take a guess, but thats all it would be. Please, spill your guts, don't make me do a lot of research for nothing, hahaaa.

BrianG

dave r on 4/14/03 at 07:36 (116077)

Ok, i was scheduled to have eswt with the ossatron over a year ago at Health South Surgery center in Milwaukee. I had all my pre op work done and everything was all set a month in advance. I was going to pay for the procedure myself which seemed to confuse everyone there. Anyhow my girlfriend and i both took off of work and drove two hours to the surgery center. Once we got there my gleeming light at the end of the tunnel started to get very dim. I signed all my paperwork, put my gown on and they were wheeling me into the room for anesthesia. I was stopped by the administrater of the center and wheeled back out. Health tronics refused to recieve my cash payment of $5500.00. Can you believe that? They would only take a money order for the bill. Now i was never told that and they new up front i was paying with cash. I even had this same conversation with them the day before. The administrater was really upset and she was in tears after telling my doctor to leave. I was the only patient that morning and they were unwilling to let me go and get a money order. I could of been back in an hour. Anyhow about a month went by and i didnt get an apology so i wrote healthtronics a letter along with a very livid letter from my gp. My regular doctor couldnt believe all this and said that he couldnt believe what the 'health community' was coming to. DId i mention that i invited him to be there too so that he could witness this new procedure. The president of Healthtronics did call me to apologize. Infact he called me two times. He was very nice. But from that day forward i have never gone back there and never will. I soon contacted Dr. Z and i went to see him. He was the man! He will take anytype of payment and even work out a plan with you. So thats my story and i am sticking to it!!!!

john h on 4/14/03 at 08:42 (116084)

Dr. Z will accept pigs or chickens for payment. Actually you will find many institutions that will not take cash in large amounts due to money laundering schemes. I tried to fund my IRA with Merrill Lynch with cash and they would not accept it as it was their Corporate policy. As you know any cash transaction over $10,000 has to be reported to the IRS and many businesses now just will not accept cash. It is not just the hospital that is the problem but the underlying schemes that create these issues.

dave r on 4/14/03 at 08:44 (116085)

O man are you FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!How many chickens will it take to cover the cost of one treatment Dr. Z?

john h on 4/14/03 at 12:57 (116094)

He actually likes Bantum or Rhode Island Reds for chickens but I think more recently is into White Leghorns. Probably a 1/2 ton pickup full of any of the above will do.

BrianG on 4/14/03 at 18:41 (116120)

Hey Dave,

I don't blame you for being pissed! Especially since the bills all say 'This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private.' After your apology, you should have set up another appointment, this time paying in pennies, or nickles :*)

Thanks
Brian

Re: Chickens

dave r on 4/15/03 at 07:19 (116156)

Dr. Z where could we put all those chickens?
It would be very crowded in your motor home!

Re: Chickens To Dave

Terry Z on 4/17/03 at 17:51 (116443)

You guys are toooo funny!! This post got my attention because guess where I got my TT surgery done? Health South Milwaukee... Were you seeing a Doctor G by chance. Dr. G is one of the top foot & ankles surgeons around this area and I have been very pleased.
Terry

john h on 4/17/03 at 20:26 (116459)

Brian I could print that on a chicken.

dave r on 4/18/03 at 07:12 (116492)

John i wonder if vets give chickens eswt?

Re: Chickens To Dave

john h on 4/18/03 at 09:57 (116516)

Did the tt surgery help? Are you in a cast or what?