Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

prolotherapy

Posted by BrianJ on 4/11/03 at 12:18 (115943)

If I recall correctly, some folks on this board have had prolotherapy to treat their heel pain (prolotherapy consists of injecting a fluid into the site of pain in an attempt to strengthen the tissue and stimulate the healing process). I believe BrianG was one of these people.

Please let me know your experience with prolotherapy, and whether it provided any benefit. Thanks.

Re: prolotherapy

Dr. Z on 4/11/03 at 12:20 (115945)

Hi

You can use the search engine for past postings but if my memory is correct I don't recall anyone on this site having any type of relief with this treatment

john h on 4/11/03 at 13:41 (115951)

I remember this Dr. Z. The husband wife team that has a big clinic in Chicago charges a fortune. If you think ESWT is expensive try about 20 or so shots for prolothearpy. It is not a procedure covered by insurance. I talked to them on the phone and had a book on the subject. I think Dr. Andrew Weil gave it good marks in one of his books I read.

BrianG on 4/11/03 at 21:58 (115977)

Your right, BrianJ,

I did have about 5 injection directly into my heel. The doc added a little (and I mean a little lidocaine) which made the injections hurt like hell! I was able to get my insurance to pay for the office visit, but not the injection. I'm not positive, but I think each injection was about $60, and the office visit was $40.

The doctor did tell me had had done other PF patients, but I really believe I was his first. The first few injections, every 2 weeks, went into the side of the heel. The last, most potent, painful, injection went into the bottom of my heel, with very little lidocain. Big time hurt, could barely drive home. I really think he was winging it on me!!!!! Anyways, I had no relief at all. I believe my injection was mostly a sugar type substance, but some docs use saline.

Prolo may work better on shoulders, elbows and knees. I've talked to others who had it for PF, and no one received any help.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: There is a book, 'Prolo your pain away' by Ross A. Hauser, MD. The preface is by C. Everett Koop, MD

DJ on 4/22/03 at 09:20 (116802)

I had about eight treatments done by an osteopath and was left no better noe worse. My insurance gave me some assistance but at the time prolotherapy was still considered alternative therapy