Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cheilectomy update, day two

Posted by JohnV on 4/11/03 at 18:34 (115972)

Again, so far, so good. The pain remains minimal and is only stemming from the incision. It is my understanding that the surgery only involved the removal of the spurs and nothing else. So, that is my guess as to why it does not hurt as much as I thought it would.

I actually drove my car today and did a bit of shopping with my wife while using my cane and the surgical shoe(with the orthotic). I am starting to notice more movement in the joint.

I am also going back to work tomorrow - boredom is setting in. Hopefully, I can get back on my bicycle in about ten days.

As I may have said earlier, the surgery could not reverse cartilage loss. I still don't know what that means down the road for me. Hopefully, on Monday at my doctor's appointment, I will get some feedback.

I am quite shocked as to how easy this has been.

Take care,

John

Re: Cheilectomy update, day two

liz B on 5/09/03 at 12:52 (118181)

Hello John,
You sound like you have made great progress , its encouraging to hear you are able to drive so soon after surgery. At the moment I cant drive because of the stiffness in my toe, so I now feel more inclined to go ahead and have the op.
Could you let me know if you were treated on the NHS and wether it was in or near London. I have so far only been offered steriod injections ( I understand these are pointless for hallux rigidus) and would go private if I have to, but if you can recomend a surgeon I would be grateful.
Are you on the bike yet ? I am interested to know as this is how I get to work everyday and it would be distasterous if I could'nt cycle.
Thanks for your help
L.B