Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery

Posted by BFreedman on 4/13/03 at 13:13 (116051)

I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis since last July. I was a runner and would like to be one again. I first experienced trouble 7 years I ago and custom orthotics did the trick. Last spring, my dogs went to the dogs again. I have had 3 cortisone shots, physical therapy, including the sonographic kind and ESWT. I replaced my original orthotic twice but my foot does not respond. I am considering surgery but I want to know how long the recovery period will be. My goal is to run again even if on a limited basis. Once surgery is performed, how long until I am on my feet again and how long until physical activity can be resumed in earnest?

Re: Surgery

SteveG on 4/13/03 at 15:08 (116055)

Did you have any improvement with the ESWT? You could try it again. Many people respond with the 2nd treatment, and it is usually given at a steep discount. Surgery should be avoided if at all possible. It takes quite a while to recover and it does not have a real high success rate.

BFreedman on 4/13/03 at 17:01 (116059)

I have had no improvement whatsoever with anything I have tried. But I am definitely open to trying again. I am extraordinarily frustrated. Even very low impact exercise exacerbates the condition and a busy day with my three kids does also. I'll look into doing the ESWT a second time. Our insurance plan was recently chaned from HMO to a POS so this may be less of a pain than the last time.Thank you for your reply!

Bobbi

SteveG on 4/13/03 at 18:16 (116060)

Bobbi - Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be. You might want to look into swimming or deep pool running for exercise. Are you able to use an exercise bike?

BFreedman on 4/13/03 at 19:14 (116064)

Actually, my sister is selling me a very nice racing bike and I took a short ride today. I havce accessto a brand new Y with a very lovely pool, which has now I have opened. I have been rather bad about not exercising since my exercise of choice has been unavailable to me. I am going to call my podiatrist tomorrow and weigh all my options!

Bobbi

marie on 4/14/03 at 19:47 (116138)

Bobbi,

Swimming is wonderful. No weight on those sore feet. I am not a lap swimmer but just enjoy getting in the water and swimming around. I love the feeling of weightlessness. I was a runner and a walker.....now I am a mermaid.

marie

BFreedman on 4/15/03 at 10:47 (116173)

I like that, Marie. I have to try being a mermaid as well! Thank you!

Bobbi