Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chronic pain & more

Posted by Rachael T. on 4/15/03 at 10:54 (116175)

I posted a quest. for the doctors - on the 'ask the doctors' board. Please review it as I shall not duplicate it here....but it deals with chronic pf pain & nerve pain that the brain doesn't/won't shut down. I shall look for your replies/answers on drs. board as well as here. This question is posed as I read an article on such.

Re: Chronic pain & more

Kathy G on 4/15/03 at 17:27 (116221)

Since developing foot problems eight years ago, I seldom mention whether my feet are bad on a particular day, even to my husband and family, I had to give up two jobs on account of this and I've altered my life drasticaly but at this point, if I can't do something, I usually mutter something about having foot problems. Sometimes, if people ask, I'll elaborate. (Yes, then I get blank stares because no one has ever heard of PF!) So, I've never had to put up with people not believing I have pain.

Articles I've read indicate that all kinds of variables affect how individuals react to pain. It's an ever increasing field of study and while we know some things, like how Seratonin affects pain, etc., no one seems to know why some people have higher pain thresholds than others. It's not something we can control; we are born with the chemical makeup of our bodies.

Chronic pain is a whole other ballgame. It has less to do with pain thresholds but more to do with how our bodies and psyches handle the constancy of it; the fact that it always seems to be there.

I personally believe that some people have chronic pain because they have conditions that cause that pain. And if it is, indeed, our brain function that controls how we feel that pain, I believe there's little we can do about it. Most of us get by with pain meds and possibly the use of meds that elevate the level of Seratonin in our bodies, but until the root cause of pain is gone, we will experience that pain.

I'll bet most of us with PF have tried to 'tough it out', thinking that the pain is not in our feet, but in our heads. All that we did was to worsten our condition. I know that I tried denial on several occasions, to no avail. My feet still hurt like crazy even when I tried to ignore them!

I'll be interested in hearing what everyone has to say about this! Interesting subject, Rachael!

Re: Rachael

Kathy G on 4/16/03 at 11:56 (116298)

Rachael,

I expected more of a response than you are getting. It's a busy time of year and the boards aren't quite as active as they used to be. You should try posting about this on the Social Board and you may get more feedback. I think it's a fascinating subject.

It occurred to me last night, after my post, that one of the things we do in our society is admire people who can tolerate pain. I'm as guilty as anyone. A few months ago, my 22 year old daughter had to have a procedure done to prevent her toenail from becoming ingrown again. My Pod, who did the procedure, mentioned that she had an exceptionally high pain threshold. He said it was obvious that she had inherited it from me. She and I considered it as a compliment which is the way he intended it but it got me to thinking. If we had a low pain threshold, would it be our faults? After all, it's something you are born with; you can't control it. Yet society as a whole views people with chronic pain as wimps. It's not just in the sporting world that those who play with pain are admired; it's everywhere. And considering that we have no control over how we feel pain, it's really stupid. At least I think it is!

Re: Rachael

Bev on 4/16/03 at 12:21 (116299)

Kathy, I wonder about the pain tolerance running in families. My girls have a higher pain tolerance than I do. My 31 year old daughter suffers from migranes all of her life, many doctors and all, and med and she still suffers, and how she tolerates it is beyond me, she is a better person than I am.(my husbands mother has migranes, I guess she gets it from that side of the family). When my other daughter was young she had to have stitches near her eye when another child pushed her in school against the piano, and she was so brave and did not even cry. Now, me, I am a wimp. I have this PF and PN and I am a pain wimp.So I guess my girls take after their their brave dad as my hubby is a brave soul. So, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:)

Rachael T. on 4/16/03 at 13:18 (116308)

I enjoyed your thoughts.....but I have always thought I had a high pain tolerance as I've fallen from bucking/rearing horses & I've had injuries then - that I would ignore & work right thru; knowing that others may not have. So, considering my pain tolerance, I also think that maybe 'us pf'rs' might have ignored initial symptoms (I did) thinking 'Oh, it's nothing - but my feet hurt a bit!' That was then - before the big onset of my major pf - which I continued to work thru in the barn & around the horses - till I couldn't do it & honestly say that I was trying to get healed.....so, yes, I too, changed my life's actions....& now, I continue to guard my activities - but with better orthotics from P.T. guy than the ones (3 prs.) initially was given by pod. - I thnk maybe there is a light -- I hope! I have improved immensely since 2 yrs. ago - but I wonder if the symptoms will forever be there.....I hope they continue to lessen - even tho' it is at a snail's pace! Thanks for your input on this!

BrianG on 4/16/03 at 19:11 (116349)

I think there is a big difference between acute pain (thrown from a horse) and chronic pain (PF). I don't pretend to understand it, yet! But I do try to read everything I can on the subject. It's tough being a pain whimp!!

Regards
BrianG

Suzanne D on 4/16/03 at 21:27 (116367)

Rachael, are your new orthotics working out for you? I hope so!

Sometimes, I don't think my feet will EVER feel the same again. But I am thankful that they don't hurt like they once did. I have more stiffness and tiredness than pain, but every time it starts to get me down, I think of all those here who have such unrelenting pain, and then I feel bad for complaining. (:(PIPE) And I heard tonight on t.v. that the young lady - the newly recovered POW - had gunshot wounds to both feet. I wanted to cry for her.

Like you, I think that I had warnings of PF long before the terrible pain began, but I just didn't know...I just thought my feet were tired. Somehow we just accept that when we work hard, our feet will hurt. And then we expect them to be fine again the next day.

I hope all of us keep getting better!
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 4/17/03 at 12:51 (116419)

Brian, you're not a wimp! You're man enough to admit you have pain. There's a huge difference. Nothing drives me crazier than someone in obvious pain who says they feel fine and continue to hurt their body instead of just admitting they have pain and treating the cause.

Of course, now that I think of it, I don't admit I have pain much of the time. But I'm not dumb enough to do things that hurt me!

Sharon W on 4/17/03 at 13:31 (116425)

Kathy

Why are we ashamed to admit we're in pain?? (By 'we' I mean to include myself, but not ALL foot sufferers.) It doesn't make sense, but you're right, many people don't seem to want to 'admit' they have pain -- as if pain were something dirty or ugly or smelly or antisocial, an embarassing personal fault that we need to be ashamed of.

I agree with you, Brian is man enough to admit that he has pain. It isn't an easy thing to do...

Sharon

john h on 4/17/03 at 20:17 (116454)

Ok Brian suck it up. You have these women giving you sympathy now. Next they will be sending you flowers.

BrianG on 4/17/03 at 22:18 (116477)

C'mon John, gimmie a break here. I like flowers as much as the next person, but not for a gift. I need spinner baits right now, bass fishing is just about to start :*)

I'm trying to sell my Bass Tracker boat, my most favorite posession. Just too much pain involved to take it out for a 'fun' day of fishing!!! I'll still get out, but I'll be in the back of friends boats, no responsibilities :*)

Please send all Titanium wire spinner baits to PO box, bla, bla, bla, in central Ma. Hahahaaaa

Brian

PS: I've know that I have been a pain wimp since Jr. High school, when I got braces. Once a month when they tightened them, I was in agony!!! And don't think I didn't catch a lot of shit for that either! It was a bad deal, all around.

dave r on 4/18/03 at 07:20 (116494)

I could use some spinner baits too.....Since i admit to having pain i guess that makes me unmanly! No flowers! Just send me chickens :D

Re: About admitting pain

Kathy G on 4/18/03 at 08:59 (116504)

Since Rachael's original post, I've been thinking about pain a lot. Of course, the fact that I am currently in a great deal of pain due to carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis and arthritis in both my hands has a lot to do with it! But, I think for me, the pain in my feet has been present for so long that I just take it for granted. It's a surprise if I do something and my feet don't hurt. And I really don't think most people care so I just don't bother to mention it. If possible, I simply avoid situations where I think the pain will be more than I can tolerate. I've asked my husband not to ask how my feet are because for some reason I hate to verbally admit that they're still hurting.

I've reached a point where pain is a part of my life and I'd probably miss it if some part of my body didn't ache. I'm not being a pessimist or giving up; I'm just being a realist. Now they think I probably have RA but I don't see a Rheumatologist until the end of May. I figure by then, I'll be used to that pain, too, and I'll just continue on my merry way. What are my options?

john h on 4/18/03 at 09:48 (116510)

Dave R: You missed out on all my classic lures including spinner lures. I sold them on e-bay including a mint Garcia Ambassador 3000 and 5000C. I had people all over the country after these lures. Still had my old 40 year old Lucky 13 and baby Lucky 13. These girls will want to monther you.

dave r on 4/18/03 at 12:48 (116536)

John, bring the ladies on!