Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post op bunion surgery

Posted by marlenem on 4/15/03 at 11:16 (116176)

I had the surgery, with screw placement on 4-11, I am in pain still, alot, it is numb and it tingles,I cannot walk but a few steps and it throbs, is this normal?? I feel a clicking motion also when I walk, I do not olace direct pressure on the area, I walk on the side of the foot that was not operated on. I was wondering if I was reading into the healing process or if this was a bit abnormal?

Re: post op bunion surgery

Mar on 4/15/03 at 13:17 (116190)

You had bunion surgery only 4 days ago? I think it is very normal!! Patience and rest -- Mar (not a doctor)

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/15/03 at 19:10 (116229)

If you are concerned, you should absolutely contact your doctor. Although Mar unfortunately had a poor experience with surgery, in my 18 years of performing surgery I have found that it is really not common for patients to have a lot of pain following surgery. On the contrary, most patients are extremely surprised that there is very little or no discomfort post operatively. I have all my post op patients take an anti-inflammatory post operatively for the first week (such as Advil), if they don't have any allergies, etc., and I give a pain medication/narcotic just in case there is pain. I can honestly state that over 90% of the patients never take the pain medication. Although I am very confident in my surgical skills, I'm also confident that most of my colleagues have similar results. If you are having a lot of pain post operatively, it MAY indicate a problem, so please let your surgeon know ASAP, for peace of mind.

Mar on 4/15/03 at 19:59 (116237)

Dr Wander -

Wow! I am surprised that most people don;t have pain for the first few days after the surgery. I thought that was at least the normal part of my surgery! Sorry if i misled anyone. I'll keep my mouth shut about the bunion surgery from now on. Mar

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/16/03 at 16:02 (116330)

Mar,

No need to apologize. In your experience, discomfort post operatively was normal. In my experience, most patients do not experience much if any pain post operatively, and although I'd like to take credit for being a great surgeon, I believe most of my colleagues would agree that a lot of pain post operatively is the exception, not the rule!

Mar on 4/16/03 at 19:24 (116352)

Dr W -

Thanks for being so kind ;-) I thought I was over the feelings of anger and anxiety at my bunion situation, but your post yesterday really struck a chord in me. Now that you say most people do not have pain post operatively, I'm wondering how normal it was for me to have the pain. Evidently my problems started right then and there. My pod at the time said the pain was normal and when it was still swollen after 2 months he said that was still in the normal range. And when it when on for months and months, he said the body will heal itself - be patient! Like a fool i believed him. Anyway, I'll work through this!! ;-) Thanks again - Mar